Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Alfa 916 Spider. The blower doesn't work at all which means I can't de mist the windscreen. Have tried replacing the resistor with another second hand one but made no difference.
When I press the air con button, air is pumped out slowly but the fan doesn't work on any speeds. Not sure what to do.
Any help greatly appreciated.....thanks.
Chris

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had the same problem. First of all the blower would only blow on max and then it conked out altogether. Repalaced the variable resistor but did not cure the problem so checked the motor which worked fine. Fuse in main fusebox was fine so after much scrabbling about under the dashboard tracing wires it turned out to be a fuse just under the dashboard on the right hand side and above the main fuse board. Hope that is some help and y9u get yours sorted.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Try putting an earth, -ve to the resistor terminals. The fan should then run. The resistors are there to control the fan speeds, no resistance = full speed. if the fan runs let us know and we can go from there. I had this issue and it was the fan speed switch but it could be several things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will try....

thanks everyone.
In the manual I've found a fuse on main fuse box below steering wheel which is for internal fan, also some kind of fuse in the upper fuse area slightly higher up. I'll replace these both tomorrow and see if there's a difference.

The resistor has 4 metal terminals at one end and two smaller ones at other end, the two ends are linked with a long fuse. Which part should I join together, the four terminals to the smaller 2 at other end? Or just link the 4 terminal to each other? Also what should I use to do this?

Thanks for any help as I'm not very good with car mechanics.

Chris

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If you dont have any luck tomorrow rainguard do a good anti mist liquid for the inside of your screen, will at least mean you can see where ur going until you fix it!.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Here is the diagram, terminal 1 on the resistor is full speed, 2,3 & 4 are the other speeds.

·
Registered
916 Posts
First, you need to ascertain if the fan motor itself is OK, and if its getting power.
If it is, then the problem could be the speed switch (often burn out).
If you have no power at the motor, the problem is likely to be in the wiring between the fusebox and the motor; there is also a relay for the motor supply, located behind the dash (kind of behind and to the left of the instrument cluster). A short distance from this relay is yet another connector, which sometimes burns out. The wire you need to follow is the thick orange one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts