Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Please help. ETM Module Security code?

10563 Views 32 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Stediste77
Hi There,
I just install a newer version of the Infotainment module. The install went successfully. However, it is asking for a anti-thief security code. Does anyone know this code? The radio function does not work without the correct code.
This is the newer hardware module with 051 software on it.
Thanks
Car Vehicle Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car Audi
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,651 Posts
Hi There,
I just install a newer version of the Infotainment module. The install went successfully. However, it is asking for a anti-thief security code. Does anyone know this code? The radio function does not work without the correct code.
This is the newer hardware module with 051 software on it.
Thanks
View attachment 889137
Was it a new unit you fitted or just a software update?

If the latter, my guess is that the code required is unique to your car. If so, you have to get it from a dealer or perhaps it is in the documentation with the car.

Andy

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was it a new unit you fitted or just a software update?

If the latter, my guess is that the code required is unique to your car. If so, you have to get it from a dealer or perhaps it is in the documentation with the car.

Andy
The ETM is from a wrecked 2018 Giulia. I instaled it to my 2017. It is starting to look like I will need to ask the dealer to help. Or if there is a software out there that will allow me to change the VIN on the ETM. That might work. I can still see the original VIN on the ETM with MultiECUScan. Also, even if I do get the Pin/Code to unlock it, will I have unlock it every time time I start the car?
Documentation with the car say if this happens, need to contact dealer. I don't believe the code was provided to the owner at delivery.

· Premium Member
8,781 Posts
The ETM is from a wrecked 2018 Giulia. I instaled it to my 2017. It is starting to look like I will need to ask the dealer to help. Or if there is a software out there that will allow me to change the VIN on the ETM. That might work. I can still see the original VIN on the ETM with MultiECUScan. Also, even if I do get the Pin/Code to unlock it, will I have unlock it every time time I start the car?
Documentation with the car say if this happens, need to contact dealer. I don't believe the code was provided to the owner at delivery.
If it works the same as on the previous Alfa connect systems, you only need the code (which is specific to the individual infotainment box) first time you install a new/other infotainment unit or bodycomputer.
The code is exchanged between infotainment unit and bodycomputer once during installment, and stored in memory, so it is normally a one-time only thing....

With the earlier connect systems the code was either supplied with the new connect/car, or could be ordered for a price from Alfa Italy, via the dealer with the serial number of the connect, and proof of ownership.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it works the same as on the previous Alfa connect systems, you only need the code (which is specific to the individual infotainment box) first time you install a new/other infotainment unit or bodycomputer.
The code is exchanged between infotainment unit and bodycomputer once during installment, and stored in memory, so it is normally a one-time only thing....

With the earlier connect systems the code was either supplied with the new connect/car, or could be ordered for a price from Alfa Italy, via the dealer with the serial number of the connect, and proof of ownership.
Great info as always. This is comforting to know. thx

· Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm also curious. I know one case when guy has asked for code for his changed radio. I know although it is paid service to provide a code (around EUR70) FCA rejected initially - it took 2-3 months and re-prompting from dealer who supported the guy so finally FCA gave the code.
We know that 2nd gen radio units are way better (responsive), and offer new functionalities. I'm considering development of the plug in device which in some way cheats the system - so HU thinks it works with car of its VIN and car things HU is of his VIN. wonder if there woudl be enough of sales to spend a time and developep such. no point to go below 100 units, as it would be too expensive to cover development/production in low series.

· Registered
12 Posts
I think it’d all depend on the price you’d be selling it. But that’s something I’m sure lots of people would be interested. Specially those with 2016 to 2018 cars who are buying Eng-Custom or KAP (somewhat buggy) units to add CarPlay and Android Auto to their vehicles... what price tag where you thinking?

· Registered
1,393 Posts
EUR60-80 range I think if we talk about device where user needs to cut 2 CAN lines beside radio, solder between (4 wires), and hook up with power supply/ground to 2 other wires. If that was to be build on original plug/socket and full loom, price woudl probably be extra ~50EUR at least.

· Registered
12 Posts
The prices don’t seem bad at all. I think that if cutting and soldering could be replaced with quick splice connectors, would keep the price low and you could have a good starting point. Assembling Cunstom-eng units isn’t easy and people are doing it. Maybe after that if effectiveness was proven, in order to reach all client types, develop the socket option.

· Registered
1,393 Posts
I do not have trust in quick splice connector for longterm use, but of course it coudl be up to user to decide if he wants to use such or prefer soldering. when I get bit of breath from current developments, and new money flow from them, I will certainly look at this project as possibility.

· Registered
9 Posts
I just saw these posts, I made this some time ago for my own car and for a friends Giulia. Now it is updated with an automatic process to get the ETM's working without the anti theft code. I have it running for almost one year now without a problem.

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Nice, had such device on my possible future development list since beginning of my activity, but sniffed a few release/going to market issues - predicted small market, so too expensive to release as plug and play product (with its own itermediate plug and play connector vs cutting and letting customers solder), do the documentaiton, automated tester etc.
Are you selling these or only presenting that it is possible?
BTW, it is possible to get via dealer the code, but not easy - 2 of my friends in Poland managed to do so, but it was each time around 3 months battle and number of rejections from Italy, but finally they got it. They had helpful dealer friends also to support their requests, and of course paid for code around 75EUR (there is price for this from FCA).

· Registered
12 Posts
I just saw these posts, I made this some time ago for my own car and for a friends Giulia. Now it is updated with an automatic process to get the ETM's working without the anti theft code. I have it running for almost one year now without a problem. I have a movie on my facebook page. Here the link. Use an radio unit, ETM, from another Alfa Romeo Giulia in yours. Quality of video is not that good but you get the purpose of it.
How much would you sell this for?

Does that 10 sec button press needs to be done every time you start the car?

Does your hacking device needs be plugged in forever, or is it just a one time process in order to rewrite the ETM memory?

· Registered
9 Posts
Nice, had such device on my possible future development list since beginning of my activity, but sniffed a few release/going to market issues - predicted small market, so too expensive to release as plug and play product (with its own itermediate plug and play connector vs cutting and letting customers solder), do the documentaiton, automated tester etc.
Are you selling these or only presenting that it is possible?
BTW, it is possible to get via dealer the code, but not easy - 2 of my friends in Poland managed to do so, but it was each time around 3 months battle and number of rejections from Italy, but finally they got it. They had helpful dealer friends also to support their requests, and of course paid for code around 75EUR (there is price for this from FCA).
Hi Epsonix, for the moment only presenting it is possible. But would not cost that much effort have more made. But as you said, the market will be very small and therefor the price can not be that low. Also the user have to cut wires or have it done at the dealer. To get the code via the dealer I also tried but gave up as it is indeed a long battle and making the first proto took one weekend.

· Registered
9 Posts
How much would you sell this for?

Does that 10 sec button press needs to be done every time you start the car?

Does your hacking device needs be plugged in forever, or is it just a one time process in order to rewrite the ETM memory?
I am considering to sell but please be aware that some cables needs to be cut. No, only one time pushing for 10sec is ok but it needs to be plugged in forever. It it will be sold, price can not be that low as indicated here on the forum.

· Registered
1,393 Posts
From my 1.5 year of selling a few accessories for GIulia/Stelvio, I know that 90% of customers won't will to cut wires, expect plug&play with clear instrucitons. WIth headunit it is not that bad, as you may buy some 1:1 compatible looms, and cut on production withi that offering plug and play. Bit of problem is that such looms are chineese quality - I had installed a few AA/ACP boxes to GIulia/Stelvio which used similar approach, and had issues with them - either too tight contacts and lever was getting bit damaged/ didn't wanted to close etc, or too loose contacts and e.g. on bumpy roads right channel was disapperaing etc. Looms still adds labour and some cost (mainly getting that done right, you won't be manufacturing in China for cheap, but in EU low volume, so expensive). Also testing - you won't be testing every unit in your car, so you need built automated tester which verifies all is good with all connections and functionality. You would need spare tester just in case, and cables to buffer tester and avoid using its connectors too quickly (better use some addtional cables and replace them after say 200-500 units tested). All adds custom development cost (just 2 testers and cables and their firmwares and documentaiton).
There is numer of my products which landed as prototype only on my car and a few friends or say one customer max, but I never decided to go for production. Most were too expensive to build/release properly comparing to volume, and a lot also would require homologation (yours maybe would sleak wihtout homologation, can't say for sure). You are also taking responibility whenever anything happens to the car, customer first ask you if it coudl be the device, or people start noticing after installation things they didn't pay attention earlier (but standard on GIulia/Stelvio) which they only noticed some time after installation of device.

Anyway, congrats you made it, if you decide to release it for sell, I'm happy to direct to you others, I know a few people on Polish forum who would like to upgrade their old rev headunits with 2nd gen for OEM AA/ACP, some already have headunits waiting for solution.

· Registered
9 Posts
From my 1.5 year of selling a few accessories for GIulia/Stelvio, I know that 90% of customers won't will to cut wires, expect plug&play with clear instrucitons. WIth headunit it is not that bad, as you may buy some 1:1 compatible looms, and cut on production withi that offering plug and play. Bit of problem is that such looms are chineese quality - I had installed a few AA/ACP boxes to GIulia/Stelvio which used similar approach, and had issues with them - either too tight contacts and lever was getting bit damaged/ didn't wanted to close etc, or too loose contacts and e.g. on bumpy roads right channel was disapperaing etc. Looms still adds labour and some cost (mainly getting that done right, you won't be manufacturing in China for cheap, but in EU low volume, so expensive). Also testing - you won't be testing every unit in your car, so you need built automated tester which verifies all is good with all connections and functionality. You would need spare tester just in case, and cables to buffer tester and avoid using its connectors too quickly (better use some addtional cables and replace them after say 200-500 units tested). All adds custom development cost (just 2 testers and cables and their firmwares and documentaiton).
There is numer of my products which landed as prototype only on my car and a few friends or say one customer max, but I never decided to go for production. Most were too expensive to build/release properly comparing to volume, and a lot also would require homologation (yours maybe would sleak wihtout homologation, can't say for sure). You are also taking responibility whenever anything happens to the car, customer first ask you if it coudl be the device, or people start noticing after installation things they didn't pay attention earlier (but standard on GIulia/Stelvio) which they only noticed some time after installation of device.

Anyway, congrats you made it, if you decide to release it for sell, I'm happy to direct to you others, I know a few people on Polish forum who would like to upgrade their old rev headunits with 2nd gen for OEM AA/ACP, some already have headunits waiting for solution.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. You are right, with copy connectors you can expect a lot of problems and production in EU is expensive. Testing the hardware/SW is also something to take care of but I'm not afraid of that as I do that already for similar hardware. First I will test this new SW for longer period and see how, or if, to continue with this. For sure it was fun to develop this..:)(y)

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi @HanJ I wonder how your project progresses - are you releasing at least in small production for sell?
If interested it can be done, at the moment 4 cars are driving around with this solution. Two cars have the hardware outside the ETM and then cables needs to be cut and 2 cars I build the hardware in the ETM. The last is actual the preferred solution as these ETM's can be put in any car without any handling, cutting cables. It is just plug and play.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts