Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can you help me?, i was driving home tonight, doing about 60mph on a busy motorway when suddenly the temp guage went off the scale and the oil pressure died, i managed to steer the car onto the hard shoulder. The water/coolant had gone although the cap and breather pipe were still on, also there was oil over the rad pipes but not all that much, i was towed home by a clueless RAC guy. I have re-filled with coolant/water and oil but my Alfa won't start, no compression, nothing, but no clanking or banging just wont start over. Im praying to God its not the head gasket, does anyone know what this could be?. im lost and jobless without the car and not looking forward to a sleepless night worrying....thanks guys.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't like to say it but I think the head gasket has indeed failed. Hopefully someone else on here can offer a less upsetting thought.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mate....i;m off work tomorrow and im wondering if it IS the hg is it possible to do it yourself?, im pretty confident but looking under my bonnet....im not so sure now!, how much could i be stung? thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a very capable - and more importantly honest - mechanic who could do the job for you at a very reasonable price. If you're anywhere near the Guildford area it's worth considering.

But lets not rush to conclusions just yet...there may well be another, less expensive, cause to your problem. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's really good of you, bit i'm about 10 miles north of Manchester in Rossendale Lancs. It's comforting to hear that it COULD be a less=complicated problem!, to be honest it;s been cutting out at the lights when warm, very low idle speed but plenty of power, although ive had to top up the coolant about 4 times in the last 3 months.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
.... although ive had to top up the coolant about 4 times in the last 3 months.
Sounds like it's been on the way to Boot Hill for a while and finally got there...

When I changed my H/gaskets recently (v6) the rear one had some serious delamination and a collosal split between c1 fire-ring and the water channel next to it..

I also looked at the gasket on the front bank and I could see some evidence of cracking in the face of the gasket where it was exposed to the coolant and signs that the coolant had started to make that gasket start to delaminate too.

It seems to me that over time the gasket material cracks, which lets coolant in between the laminated sheets of the gasket.. rusts the metal insert (or the coolant pressure forces the layers further apart) until the de-lamination reaches an oil way or the fire-ring.. which obviously allows coolant, oil and/or gas to mix ... Game Over.

Dunno why the gasket face should crack.. it could be that coolant seeps in somehow and then forms vapour bubbles, or rusts the metal layers causing the material to expand slightly and split...

I've always used anti-freeze too.. which is supposed to prevent corrosion... but my gaskets showed clear signs of rust (aluminium engine.. though some of the pipery is steel, admittedly).

With my new ("Victor Reinz" :D ) gaskets I've used a 60% concentration of the synthetic (pink) anti-freeze and distilled water only (no salts)... as the 40% mix of the blue stuff and tap water obviously wasn't keeping corrosion at bay (and I used to change it every year too...)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Ralf, i've certainly learnt a lot about the engine in the last 24hrs...and thanks to everyone else, you are all brilliant..the link from 156chris was very helpful... now i just have to sell my soul to pay for the repair!! :-(

A

·
0 Posts
Sorry,didn't see you had. this thread was going as well, I just made a post on the other one

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Alfavincent/alfafamily..... i was just thinking then "oh sh&t!, is there another head behind this one??" phew!!, i love the V6 but couldn't afford the petrol consumption..maybe one day!, i was wondering whether the reason this is quite an expensive job was because of the complexity/cost of parts etc....OR because it takes so long to put it all right again?...just a thought....my mechanic won't commit anything to paper yet until next Tuesday when he gets the head back from the machine shop.... until then i have the loan of another car to get to work...thank God!, but doesn't solve my finances...anyone want to buy a perfectly-restored belfast sink??? :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Evening Butty!, i live in Crawshawbooth village, Green GTV, i've gone to CMR just up the road from me...they did a great job last yr on my old Punto Sporting but i realise the GTV is a completely different kettle of fish....i really do feel sick about it all, im just praying that its all fixable and i can get back to driving it again soon!. I've only seen one other GTV in Rossendale, a dark blue one in Rawtenstall...is that you mate?

·
Registered
179 Posts
nah mate, mines a red one, i did get a wave off a green gtv going past rossendale hospital a few months back butr gtv's are pretty rare around here, i keep seeing that blue one on asda's car park, needs a damn good wash, filthy it is! There is an alfa parts place in haslingden if you need a cylinder head or other bits, don't think i would use him for servicing though. Keep us informed on the progress

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah!, you're right!, i was parking up in Asda the other week and noticed it, and the dirt!, i've let on to him a few times but just get blanked!...oh well eh?. There's a damn good chance that couldve been me nr the hospital, i've clocked a red gtv come to think of it a few months ago, i've seen you drive through C/booth and also nr Asda...gotta be you!. I'd love to know where this Alfa place is in Haslingden mate...is it a breakers? ( hopefully my head will be ok ( both! ) but it's handy to know ). Will keep you posted butty, it;s currently outside my house, looking a bit forlorn!.thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts