Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
One eyed viewing, so it's a bit blurred, no Busy Bee, definition looks reasonable though, so how much, and what is it? I want a camera, but don't really know much about them.:(:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Bloomin' Eck, Mr.G. very nice pictures, but I'll pass for the moment on getting one. I'll tell the wife to dust off the old 'Brownie' 127, until the ship docks again.:):

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
It's a Nikon D60 with an 18-55 VR lens. Just a shade under £400 Zed.
What are your impressions Mr.Gibbo? I am looking to get the Pentax K200D.....cheaper,heavier and built like a tank

Oh an the photo is good...a bit dark though....maybe you didn't have much light to work with

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've only had the camera since last Saturday and this was the 7th photo I've taken with it. I really like it so far and am looking forward to spending more time on it. I come to this having used a Nikon coolpix compact for about 7 years and it's very different and there's a lot to learn. I tend to be loyal to a brand once I like it. Price was a factor too though.

It's been a miserable day so far in Bristol and there was not much light when I took the shot. The flowers are in a vase on our lounge window sill which is in the front of the house, the sun (when it's out) is round the back during the day. I had the camera on auto and think I will for a while yet until I'm used to what it does.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I went to Jessops the other day, and asked the part-ex value of my Canon 10D against a 50D. They weren't interested in it :cry: it cost £ 1200 when new !!! :(

Nice pic Gibbo !! :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Amazing detail:wow: On auto?

I'm hoping to get a new Camera off Santa. A Fuji S100fs looks the favourite.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I'm hoping to get a new Camera off Santa. A Fuji S100fs looks the favourite.
Are you sure?

"Chromatic aberration (CA) is a major problem at the focal lengths that are likely to be most used. The effect is so pronounced at times that it is visible even in small prints. The frustrating thing is that CA can be removed automatically - we've seen it done in other long-zoom cameras, so know it's possible, economically. It can also be manually removed from RAW files but the supplied FinePix Studio software doesn't provide the tools to do, so again you're pushed towards using third-party software that don't do the images justice."

"Essentially, deciding whether this is the camera for you depends on whether you are willing to accept a compromise - the CA is some of the worst we've seen in recent times (particularly for a camera costing this much)"

"Unfortunately, we can't quite in all conscience highly recommend a camera with such a flaw in its image quality."

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Are you sure?

"Chromatic aberration (CA) is a major problem at the focal lengths that are likely to be most used. The effect is so pronounced at times that it is visible even in small prints. The frustrating thing is that CA can be removed automatically - we've seen it done in other long-zoom cameras, so know it's possible, economically. It can also be manually removed from RAW files but the supplied FinePix Studio software doesn't provide the tools to do, so again you're pushed towards using third-party software that don't do the images justice."

"Essentially, deciding whether this is the camera for you depends on whether you are willing to accept a compromise - the CA is some of the worst we've seen in recent times (particularly for a camera costing this much)"

"Unfortunately, we can't quite in all conscience highly recommend a camera with such a flaw in its image quality."
Yep. Read that but understand there's a firmware fix due anytime now. Other options are Olympus SP560 / 570 or a Lumix FZ18/28.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Other options are Olympus SP560 / 570 or a Lumix FZ18/28.
I have the Pana FZ-5. And it is a bloody toy! it feels so fragile in my hands i am paranoid that it will vaporise every time i use it:)

The fz28 is the same plastic is fantastic philosophy and from reviews that i've read: images are quite noisy. Don't know anything about the olympus. But if the CA can be cleared up with firmware then it is a good camera

1 - 20 of 40 Posts