Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a rare pass last night, out for dinner with a friend I used to work with. On the way back I was making reasonable progress with barely any other cars on the road, and became dimly aware of a car well ahead, on an sweeping A-road, that I wasn't catching as quickly as usual. A big S-bend brought us onto a dual carriageway and I had a pretty big closing speed over the car ahead and went past, noting as I did so that it was a late original shape Scooby turbo or WRX or something (don't know much about them) with a big wing and an exhaust I could almost have parked in.

Anyway, I settled to a rapid cruise and was enjoying some music when matey boy in the Scooby (presumably not used to being overtaken by Alfa estates) came barrelling past at max chat and continued this way ahead - his engine clearly audible due to the silliness of his exhuast. This is a very quiet road replaced in function by a motorway so I thought we could have a little comparison. Snicking into 5th and flooring it brought steady gains on Scooby boy, before in top gear, I went slowly but increasingly persistently past. A little while after, I noticed with surprise (it was all very refined and stable) I was approaching 6000rpm in 6th.... Ooops.

Anyway, we ran in polite convoy for a bit when we got back to single-carriageway, overtaking in tandem, before another short straight empty stretch of dual carriageway. He indicated he'd like to play once more, in case what had happened before was some kind of freak of nature, I selected 4500 rpm in 4th as a start point, and off we went again - and again a steady lead was pulled out as I went through all of 4th and 5th gears.

After this we caught up some traffic and he politely (i.e slowly and temporarily) eased right up to my bumper, no doubt to read the badging and try and work out what the hell the Alfa was. I wonder if he was any the wiser - presumably he assumes it is not standard. It is. The best bit of all? The water temp and oil temp stayed rock steady - the oil temp only on the second bar (80-100 degrees). The bloody great ducted oil coolers and radiators recessed into the nose clealy do their job...

I've had a few plays with rally reps, as new as a recent but pre-2.5 litre STi, always with the same result above 70mph. Of all the cars on the road, they seem the most shocked at what a GTA can do. For lovers of Q-cars, this kind of good-natured game is great fun :)

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
;) mate :)

Your pictures of your car are also:cool:

That is such a nice colour on the GTA sportwagon, quite rare I would guess

one day I WILL own a V6 Alfa :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Sounds like you both had fun :)

I have to say that of all the brands I meet out there, the Scooby drivers seem to be among the more enthusiastic, and generally well driving. Also, since I got mine, I have had Subaru waves from every single Impreza I have met, and from quite a few Legacies and Foresters. :cool: Similar to the Alfa experience.

I understand the typical scooby driver in the UK is a little different :(

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Last time I played with my mate's Brera 3.2 roughly for 20km in twisty mountain. We kept doing speed from 80km to 160km flatout. Afterall my engine oil temp reached to 4 bars - 120c. I guess there weren't enough straight roads to have air to cool the car.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
That was a great read and made me chuckle.

One thing you forgot to mention was although the temp and oil gauges remaind steady just how much did the fuel gauge go into freefall ? :D

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
had a bit of fun with a golf r32 yesterday - i think it thought i would be pulling in a lot earlier than i did ;) booted gt off rnd about in outside lane with 32 close behind. kept it nailed as the road narrowed to 1 lane up ahead - 32 didnt really gain on me - think i caught it napping - it made sure it came right in with me when the road went to 1 lane :D then made big show of over taking asap later, only to turn off in about 200 yards :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
had a bit of fun with a golf r32 yesterday - i think it thought i would be pulling in a lot earlier than i did ;) booted gt off rnd about in outside lane with 32 close behind. kept it nailed as the road narrowed to 1 lane up ahead - 32 didnt really gain on me - think i caught it napping - it made sure it came right in with me when the road went to 1 lane :D then made big show of over taking asap later, only to turn off in about 200 yards :)
I had a bit of a comparison with a GT jtd on the A303 a while back, again with no other traffic about. It was quie a significant performance difference as you'd expect, but I didn't just blast past in quite the way I anticipated. And that was in the right gear. The profileration of TDi's has made me always select the appropriate gear if I feel there i any chance someone might accelerate while being overtaken...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
interesting to here the other side so to speak :D
i guess it must have been a mapper, else you'd have stuffed it

G

·
I had a rare pass last night, out for dinner with a friend I used to work with. On the way back I was making reasonable progress with barely any other cars on the road, and became dimly aware of a car well ahead, on an sweeping A-road, that I wasn't catching as quickly as usual. A big S-bend brought us onto a dual carriageway and I had a pretty big closing speed over the car ahead and went past, noting as I did so that it was a late original shape Scooby turbo or WRX or something (don't know much about them) with a big wing and an exhaust I could almost have parked in.

Anyway, I settled to a rapid cruise and was enjoying some music when matey boy in the Scooby (presumably not used to being overtaken by Alfa estates) came barrelling past at max chat and continued this way ahead - his engine clearly audible due to the silliness of his exhuast. This is a very quiet road replaced in function by a motorway so I thought we could have a little comparison. Snicking into 5th and flooring it brought steady gains on Scooby boy, before in top gear, I went slowly but increasingly persistently past. A little while after, I noticed with surprise (it was all very refined and stable) I was approaching 6000rpm in 6th.... Ooops.

Anyway, we ran in polite convoy for a bit when we got back to single-carriageway, overtaking in tandem, before another short straight empty stretch of dual carriageway. He indicated he'd like to play once more, in case what had happened before was some kind of freak of nature, I selected 4500 rpm in 4th as a start point, and off we went again - and again a steady lead was pulled out as I went through all of 4th and 5th gears.

After this we caught up some traffic and he politely (i.e slowly and temporarily) eased right up to my bumper, no doubt to read the badging and try and work out what the hell the Alfa was. I wonder if he was any the wiser - presumably he assumes it is not standard. It is. The best bit of all? The water temp and oil temp stayed rock steady - the oil temp only on the second bar (80-100 degrees). The bloody great ducted oil coolers and radiators recessed into the nose clealy do their job...

I've had a few plays with rally reps, as new as a recent but pre-2.5 litre STi, always with the same result above 70mph. Of all the cars on the road, they seem the most shocked at what a GTA can do. For lovers of Q-cars, this kind of good-natured game is great fun :)

When Alfa romeo was winning F1 races the Japanese were picking the rice and make sushi as far as automotive technology is concerned. I feel pitty for someone that would underestimate an Alfa romeo especially one badged as a GTA.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost no-one knows what those 3 letters mean! Even 320d's and the like can look suprised at times, let alone any kind of hot hatch.

To be honest, if the GTA name was well understood, I'd debadge mine!

I bet 147's attract more attention, they attracted far more press...

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
That makes a great read!!! :)
Thanks for sharing the story :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts