Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my new baby G for 6 weeks now and absolutely loving it, except for one thing:
Does anyone else find the menu system for playing music from a USB to be a complete faff?
Maybe I'm missing something but surely it should be easier than:
Menu-> down 3 times to Media Player -> Advanced USB Settings -> Section of Alphabet (if there are a lot of tracks) -> Artists -> Albums -> Select Album -> Play All.

And then if I selected the wrong album I can't just step forward by album I have to go through the whole process again. I find it pretty dangerous while driving to be honest, almost worse than fishing around in the glove box for a CD.

Why can't it be:
Menu -> down 3 times to Media Player (if I have to, I'd rather it was the first option) -> Albums.
And then a long press on Next Track to skip to the next album.

I haven't tried to explain the process to the missus yet, but I'm going to try this weekend and I just know she's going to hate it. Not that she's a technophobe, she quite happily navigates our fairly complex computer based PVR system and handles a smartphone with aplomb, but the B&M menu system is awful.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to vent. :)
Vic.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I agree with you on the navigation of the menu's, It's not great :(
You can press menu then up 1 to get to the media player 1 click sooner.
My main annoyance is that while trying to navigate the menu & watching the road / traffic around me, if i take more than 5 seconds or so between button presses i have to start my search from scratch.
Took me 4 attempts to find a specific album last night :(

If i'm going on a longish drive and i know where i'm going i set my tomtom to media player mode and its a little easier to navigate my music from there, although the steering controls are still quite a faff so i end up trying to use the touch screen or remote voice control via my wife :)

I must learn how to use the windows button voice control :D

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
it is rubbish - only really works if you put a small number of 256kbs mp3 files with correct tags in one folder, in which case you are better off burning a CD

the low bit rate makes most music seem a bit soft and flabby

made worse by the crappy display (with now way to force it to show you what is next, what is happening or even the right album name (it often sticks on the first album name it found on start up ...)

i did make it work for audio books, but it needs extreme care with file names and tags to get the chapters to play in order

Plan B - get an old iPod, load that, use the interface dongle if you have a Version 1 Giulietta, and accept that you have 2 choices: play at random or play tracks in alphabetical order from where you last played. At least you can load it with 320kbs tracks or even Apple Lossless and get half decent quality.

8-D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure I'd go quite that far. Its the menu system I'm really fed up with, and its the easiest to fix (for the manufacturer).

I find the audio quality itself to be pretty good, although I do think there is a bit of strange bass tuning (non-Bose system) in that the bass notes seem to be punchy but not quite full enough. A bit difficult to explain.

I'm normally quite choosy about sound quality and have spent a lot of time doing A/B tests with different codecs with good headphones, I don't think anyone would call 256k a "low" bitrate. Given the max is 320k you're pretty close to the top end.

I've found that around 220k vbr mp3 is the point where I (personally) cannot tell the difference between the original and the compressed with headphones. In a car with much lower quality audio system, there's no way I could tell. Perhaps you just have "golden ears". :)
Vic

R

·
0 Posts
Yes the interface is pretty annoying, it's really only safe to select an album before you move off or just to put everything on random. I've found putting a few mp3 albums on a single CD is much easier to navigate as you can go from folder to folder using the right hand button on the cd player.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had my new baby G for 6 weeks now and absolutely loving it, except for one thing:
Why can't it be:
Menu -> down 3 times to Media Player (if I have to, I'd rather it was the first option) -> Albums.
And then a long press on Next Track to skip to the next album.
Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to vent. :)
Vic.
I agree the menus are awful.

I've been trying various combinations and found this works:
Menu->Advanced USB settings->Albums->Play All

Then use the 4-way rocker switch on the head unit. Up/Down to change album (alphabetically), left/right to change tracks. If you have lots of albums it can be a pain, but still safer than using the menus.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have resigned myself to having to change the music on my USB every few weeks to what I want to listen to. Suits me usually because I like to have a focus on new stuff in the car anyway.

I've found that if you hit the voice button (left thumb) and say "Folders" then you can shift up and down the list with your right thumb to find the album you want. Hit the OK button twice and you're in.

Being a Mac head, though, having an effing Windows logo on my steering wheel is infuriating, on many levels :rant:

R

·
0 Posts
I agree the menus are awful.

I've been trying various combinations and found this works:
Menu->Advanced USB settings->Albums->Play All

Then use the 4-way rocker switch on the head unit. Up/Down to change album (alphabetically), left/right to change tracks. If you have lots of albums it can be a pain, but still safer than using the menus.
That only works on mine with an MP3 CD, it doesn't work with the USB stick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will agree. mp3 navigation is very difficult and dangerous because you have to watch inside the car.

thats why this month i will put a 2 din media player pioneeer 3300bt so the navigation will become much easier

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Jamie28
Yeah I have tried voice navigation. That is still pretty clunky: Media Player->Advanced USB Settings -> Artists -> Albums.
The menu structure is the same (I think) as the buttons. That is the problem. I think that is even more ridiculous with voice to be honest. Why press for voice control and say "Albums"? or "Artists"? Going through 2 extra steps is daft.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What i do is make playlists of music i want to hear, then i only have to go in and choose a specific playlist and not go looking for a album, it speeds things up a bit but if you want to hear something outside the playlist then you are back where you started, but i bought a 0.5m iPhone cable i have permanently in the glove box, and then just connect my phone when i get in the car, i always have it on me anyway.
Well i take it as Alfa Charm, it should´t get to boring should it? :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts