Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got experience of different types of plugs for a 1.8TS 16v? My 155 has done 106k now and is not due for any new plugs until 120k but I heard recently that the concept of these plugs efficiently lasting 60k is a bit of a joke. Therefore I thought I might change them now. Is it a pretty straightforward job or very much a dealer task?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Rob,
All you need to change to plugs is a normal slim plug socket. Remove the alloy cover which covers all the coil packs and leads, undo the 3 allen key bolts that hold down the frame and them remove the whole frame.
Try and lift the frame off straight up, you may find it quite hard at first but if you pull the plug leads off the secondary spark plug first (the one next to each coil pack)it will make it easier. Once this is off you can get to your plugs, you may find them full of water and dirt (common problem especially if you steam clean your engine)I would clean these out before you remove the plugs. Maybe a good chance to put some redex into you cylinders while the plugs are out.

I've only replaced plugs with alfa parts, don't know if there are any others.

Hope this helps :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob,
I have to say, I changed the plugs on my 2.0 TS 16V at the 60K Service (as per maint. schedule) and the old ones looked absolutely fine. The car didn't run any better on the new plugs to be honest. I'd certainly advocate changing them when you're meant to, but not necessarily any earlier unless you're experiencing problems. And yes, I do drive the pants off it! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you need a special bit/key to remove alloy cover? My bolt heads look like they are serrated internally as opposed to allen key if I remember correctly. Seem to remember reading somewhere about something called a RIBE(?) key. Is this correct or am I imagining it? Have to admit in the three years I've had this car I've not had a spanner on it(plenty of other people have though)despite doing all repairs on my previous old bangers.As it gets older I'm finding it difficult to justify paying somebody to service/fix it - about time I got my hands dirty again - the slight increase in complexity compared to my last Tipo is putting me off however.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rob,

A T40 torx key will get the cover over the coils off, and a T27 will get the coils off the mounting plate.

You need NGK BKR6EKPA large plugs, gapped to 0.9mm according to NGK or 0.7mm according to Alfa and NGK PMR7A small plugs, gapped to 0.7mm.

Don't forget to torque the plugs up carefully, 25-35nM for the big ones and 10-12nM for the small ones.

The whole job took me approx 45 mins the first time and there are no prat traps.

Ps Allparts do the plugs for £8.38 ea if you ask nicely, the genuine Alfa price is £20 each!

·
Registered
550 Posts
HI ROB155, IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE PLUGS YOURSELF, YOU CAN DO IT, BUT YOU HAVE TO DO EXACTLY WHAT SIMON SAYS.
THAT´S THE WAY, AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM.
REGARDS
JORGE

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I got my Tork bits in one of those £3 kits you get at Bank Holiday markets!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just had my 2.0 16v serviced at 44K miles. The garage says the plugs could do with replacing but it isn't desperate.

Phoned a couple of places and have a price for NGK plugs of £122 (£13 + VAT each) or a price for Champion of £55.

Quite a difference in price but why?

Has anyone replaced their plugs with something other than the NGK originals? If so, did you have any problems?

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

The NGK plugs have a platinum tip - this is what gives them a life of upto 60,000 miles. Without knowing which Champions you were offered, I would guess that they have a copper core and would last somewhat less time.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, Allparts will sell the NGK's for £8.38 +vat each. They don't have a branch on the Isle of Man, but the branch in W. London (which sold them to me) is on 0208 573 0033 - they may do mail order.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi

I changed my plugs on my 96 2.016v super to champions about 5 months ago. I've done 4000 miles since and all seems well at the moment

They are double paladium plugs and cost me £6.66 each from my local motor factor. With VAT that came to £62.60

They are RC6PYP & RG4PHP

Mike :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all,

I have recently put a set of Bosch platinum plugs in mine (Numan recommended I give them a try) appear to be working sweet and they cost me £1.50 each + vat!

I don't however expect them to hold on as long as the NGK plugs which is realistically about 50 000 Miles.

Most of the other's are not designed to last like the factory NGK plugs so it could be a false economy for some of you.

I did however read a while back that K & N were doing platinum plugs with a no quibble Lifetime guarentee (open to abuse by Alfa Owner's) LOL! Only trouble was I could never source any and they weren't cheap but with that warranty who cares!

Alfa Salv gets the NGK's John I expect he can mail order you them and I think they are somewhat cheaper than the £13 each they appear in most places.

Best regards as always

MAK

164 Super

100% FREE OF BMW PARTS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all...

I recently cahnged plugs in my Q4 and I'm testing the Denso-plugs.
Seems to be working just fine and they are trippelhead with platinum.

costs: let's see. if £1 is 15 SEK then the price would be £4,15 each. all incl.

rgds

·
Registered
550 Posts
HI CATMAN, I´M INTERESTED IN DENSO PLUGS,
DO YOU REMEMBER THE N° SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE LARGE AND THE SMALL ONES?
WHERE CAN I GET THEM ?
THANKS IN ADVANCE
CHEERS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Jorge Delgado:
<STRONG>HI CATMAN, I´M INTERESTED IN DENSO PLUGS,
DO YOU REMEMBER THE N° SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE LARGE AND THE SMALL ONES?
WHERE CAN I GET THEM ?
THANKS IN ADVANCE
CHEERS</STRONG>

I just have the four big ones, since I have a Q4.
Gonna stop by the shop today at lunch and chech the #'s for you......

rgds

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK...just got back from the shop.
here Goes:
1.6 TS, 1.8 TS 16v and 2,0 TS 16v:
PK20TR11 and U24ESR-NZU. 0.8mm gap

The rest of the TS program:
Q22P-U 0.8mm gap.

all taken from the Denso book of models.

I hope this helps

rgds

·
Registered
550 Posts
HI CATMAN, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR QUICK AND COMPLETE INFORMATION.
BEST REGARDS
JORGE

1 - 20 of 20 Posts