Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here have low platelets? The doctors clocked that I had 9 back in May and have been keeping an eye on me ever since, topped up with steroids and now just spent the morning on an IV drip. Today's count 33 but has been up and down all summer!

Just wondering if anyone on AO has any related stories - someone always seems to know something around here, no matter how obscure the topic! :)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P

·
0 Posts
They are part of the blood that helps it clot :) Platelet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hello Nicky. Unless there is somebody on AO experiencing the same thing, (and even then), I would try to get all the info you can from your doctor and maybe another doctor's opinion if you have concerns. :) The 'net is great for information but it can also lead to hypochondria because in most cases it is so clinical and the worst case scenarios tend to leap out.

There is a saying that when you hear the sound of galloping, expect horses not zebras. I hope that makes sense in this situation.

It's easy to say, but I hope you are not too worried and please talk frankly to the doc. about any questions you have. They do respect that. All the best. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Nicky. Unless there is somebody on AO experiencing the same thing, (and even then), I would try to get all the info you can from your doctor and maybe another doctor's opinion if you have concerns. :) The 'net is great for information but it can also lead to hypochondria because in most cases it is so clinical and the worst case scenarios tend to leap out.

There is a saying that when you hear the sound of galloping, expect horses not zebras. I hope that makes sense in this situation.

It's easy to say, but I hope you are not too worried and please talk frankly to the doc. about any questions you have. They do respect that. All the best. :thumbs:
Cheers pal :) This has been on-going since May so in my mind it's all under control. I have a pretty scientific rational mind anyway so can usually read these things with a level head.

I'm just interested really to hear if anyone has experienced anything similar. I thought it was pretty obscure but one of my girlfriend's friends' boyfriend has had it since birth so I figured, small world, see if there's anyone else around!

Wow Nicky, that's low!

What symptoms have you had?
It is! Although anything above 50 generally doesn't require any treatment, and above 15-20 can be fine as well so long as it's monitored - so my doc tells me. No symptoms really which is the crazy thing. I always bruised easily (once got a nice colourful one on my arm from the top corner of my 156's door!) but never had spontaneous bleeding - they only flagged up my low count when they found some glandular fever, which was only presenting with some swelling round my eyes.

All this treatment and drugs and I've been feeling fine, they're treating a number really - weird!

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Get down the gym and put those steroids to good use! I used to pay good money for that! :lol:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get down the gym and put those steroids to good use! I used to pay good money for that! :lol:
Different kind of steroids Jim :p I have put on 2 stone though :lol:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I was asked many years ago when giving blood if I wanted to be a donor. Had a few more than normal I guess??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does anyone on here have low platelets? The doctors clocked that I had 9 back in May and have been keeping an eye on me ever since, topped up with steroids and now just spent the morning on an IV drip. Today's count 33 but has been up and down all summer!

Just wondering if anyone on AO has any related stories - someone always seems to know something around here, no matter how obscure the topic! :)

Hi Nicky. Those results would have been 9,000 and 33,000 of course, the docs use different orders of magnitude sometimes to describe the same levels. Are your other results normal? White cell count? (prone to infection?), Red cell count? (get breathless easily?).

I have weekly transfusions of red cells due to the return of lymphoma, and I know that all the cell counts will get very low soon as I have just gone back on chemo.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Nicky. Those results would have been 9,000 and 33,000 of course, the docs use different orders of magnitude sometimes to describe the same levels. Are your other results normal? White cell count? (prone to infection?), Red cell count? (get breathless easily?).

I have weekly transfusions of red cells due to the return of lymphoma, and I know that all the cell counts will get very low soon as I have just gone back on chemo.

Andrew
Hey Andrew - sorry to hear about that, sounds a lot worse than me! All my other counts have been perfect the whole time, just my poor little platelets that are in short supply. Nothing else wrong with me at all which is why it's so strange. Like I say, they're really only just treating a number!

C

·
0 Posts
I was told I had a low enough count to be of concern earlier this year when I ended up in casualty with a sodding nose bleed. I think it was something like 45 but when I went for a retest at my GP's it was 59 IIRC.

I did spend a week scaring myself silly though internet reading about the causes though. Hope you're OK!

Never found the cause in my case...

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was told I had a low enough count to be of concern earlier this year when I ended up in casualty with a sodding nose bleed. I think it was something like 45 but when I went for a retest at my GP's it was 59 IIRC.

I did spend a week scaring myself silly though internet reading about the causes though. Hope you're OK!

Never found the cause in my case...
Interesting, have you gone back to normal now, did they keep an eye on you for a time afterwards? In my case they put it down to glandular fever, but that was only a mild case and is long gone, so who knows if that's really the cause... It seems some people are just a bit low on them naturally.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts