Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of doing this, as a quick, easy & cheap method to spruce up my wheels.

Im doing one wheel at a time, over the next week or so.

Ill update with pics.

First one was tonight - the colour is hard to judge as the first pic is under natural light, and the last under artificial.

It looks good in person though, and its EASY to do :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I did it about four years ago with Plasti Kote.. needs doing again now.. but for the price brilliant.. I use Kroney beer mats..

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Only issue with Plastidip is the rough finish attracts / holds the dirty so wheels get dirtier quicker and harder to clean.
But there lots of positives too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
137 Posts
Im a big fan of plastidip as it has lots of uses. I used it on my VX for some internal trim and it turned out very durable. Also when its tired you just peel it off and respray!

A guy here at my work has just sprayed his entire MX in white and its come out really well. He used a HVLP spray gun and the finish is very smooth unlike it is with the aerosol cans. It looks as good as a wrap and is easy to wash down with soap and water. Time will tell how long it lasts but it only cost him £120 in paint so was a good option for a colour change.

Plastidip is good for winter protection in the wheels and then just peel off in spring!

Good work on your wheels!!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Is there any difference between Platsi Dip and Plasti Kote.. or is it the same stuff, different firm ??

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 1/2 now done. Should hopefully be finished tomorrow.

Im really chuffed with the results so far. For the money / time investment the results really are very good.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Wow, I just searched plasti dip on youtube and am well impressed with the full paint jobs. Does it need to be a matt finish or can you get gloss versions ?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
if you are brave enough to apply thickish coats without getting runs you can get a very high gloss..
I think Euroboy's is about right for wheels..

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I just searched plasti dip on youtube and am well impressed with the full paint jobs. Does it need to be a matt finish or can you get gloss versions ?
The stuff I am using is one of the more expensive 'metallic out of the can' variants, and it does sparkle somewhat in real life, but the camera has a hard time picking it up.

You can buy 'metalliser' top coats, which basically add a metallic effect to any of the matt finish colours.

If you want to do a whole car, its really essential to get one of the spray gun kits, as it gives a much more even finish than rattle cans.

·
Registered
649 Posts
if you are brave enough to apply thickish coats without getting runs you can get a very high gloss..
I think Euroboy's is about right for wheels..
Cool - does the gloss coat need to be added after the paint get pealed off ? or can it be done before pealing the paint ?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finished, but you will have to click the links to view the photos - the forum wont let me upload any more. (oh mods wont you pls allow us to IMG tag in the technical forums).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wasn't sure about those wheels off the car, but they have won me over now I've seen them on it, looks good :) Just refurbing my ph2 teledials and have spray painted 2 of them already or I would have considered plastidipping them, never heard of it before.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those wheels look fantastic.. ATEV?? what size do they still make them??
Yeh, I wondered if someone would notice the ATEVs....

They are officially AZEV TypA wheels. The front two are genuine, but have had the centre-bore increased at somepoint to make them fit the GTV - the rears are ATEV, which as far as I can tell are good quality imitations, still made in Germany.

They are quite (very!) hard to come by, espeically in large diameters. They were mainly made in 16" for the German tuner scene (think old Golfs, 3 series etc).

Ive not seen another set on a Spider, espeically in 18" flavour. The guy I bought them off was babbling on about how rare they were, I thought it was sales patter at the time, but he might have been telling the truth.

They are very much 'of their time' - but I think they suit the shape of the Spider and are age appropriate as a 1990s wheel :) They split opinion, but I love em. I think they would look really great with a polished rim, but its mega $$$ to get it done.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yea they look very Italiano Ferrariesque.. even though they are German .. I like the defined rim on older cars..as you say, would look good with a polished rim..
And here we are talking about cheapo rattle cans lol..

They look great..

1 - 20 of 129 Posts