Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have noticed a lot of plastic rattling in my car. Maybe I did not noticed before because I was using freeway a lot but since I'm driving on regular road I hear a lot of noises. I had one problem before when I press clutch but I got that fixed with WD40, so not sure is that way to go and to spray all holes in interior parts in order to get everything fixed?

There is also noise from drivers safety belt, in part between front and rear door, inside. Not sure what is it, I'm planning to spray inside and if that not help at all, maybe to remove plastic and see what the problem is (but not sure can I put everything back again).

I have QV version with 18", all factory setup, but maybe wheels are too thin and make plastics to rattle much quicker because of vibration and bumps than 16" or 17" with thicker tires. I have only 40000Km.

Are you happy with you interior quality, was there any issues?

P.S Sorry for my bad English, I hope that you understand what I wrote.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Im in Sydney as well and have a QV. My car does rattle very slightly but you really have to listen for it otherwise its not noticeable and espcially when there is music playing and road noise outside etc I dont hear anything.

I notice it in a quiet garage and seems to be coming from the seat or seat belt area maybe.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Dont use WD40 whatever you do. If you are going to spray it with anything get a silicone based lubricant or grease. WD40 isnt a lubricant and might damage your plastics over time, plus it stinks. you dont want to be randomly spraying anything into the seat belt mechanism either, remove the plastic trims and do it carefully and properly, they are there to protect you so you dont want to make them worse.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I seem to get rattles from all four doors somehow, road surface can make it worse and maybe temperature. Maybe it's the door innards on mine or even the window seal needs lubrication?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have rattle from the I think, front windscreen heater vents as well as creaky clutch pedal.

Also seems to have a relatively new one... feels/sounds like driver side door card. (RHD).

Thought it could be exhaust but surely would rattle more at the biting point or under hard acceleration.

Seems to be vibration / resonance as does not fade or grow in volume in relation to revs or road conditions.

Any suggestions for a mechanical noob?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I seem to get rattles from all four doors somehow, road surface can make it worse and maybe temperature. Maybe it's the door innards on mine or even the window seal needs lubrication?
I found a interesting thought worth sharing.
No squeaks and rattles, then car was a bit dirty so I used the hot soapy high pressure washer.
Straight away a whole bunch of squeaks and rattles.
The cure, gummi pflege all the rubber seals, and there a quite a few..
All gone again.

·
Registered
37,146 Posts
I have no rattles in my car during the warmer weather, but come winter about a dozen different ones appear. :(

As soon as I find one I seem to get a new one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I found a interesting thought worth sharing.
No squeaks and rattles, then car was a bit dirty so I used the hot soapy high pressure washer.
Straight away a whole bunch of squeaks and rattles.
The cure, gummi pflege all the rubber seals, and there a quite a few..
All gone again.

Thanks, I'm buying some gummi phledge and will give it a go, I'm sure the noise is from dry rubber seals so hopefully problem solved!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i drive a 2018 giulietta veloce, 12k km now, I noticed a very dim but noticeable and irritating rattling noise on the slightest vibration on the road, coming from near passenger seatbelt side. anyone can help me diagnose and fix the issue... really not able to enjoy the car!

·
Registered
122 Posts
i drive a 2018 giulietta veloce, 12k km now, I noticed a very dim but noticeable and irritating rattling noise on the slightest vibration on the road, coming from near passenger seatbelt side. anyone can help me diagnose and fix the issue... really not able to enjoy the car!
When you hear it do you have anyone sitting in passenger seat?

I have such vibration/noise because seat buckle is hitting some plastic part on the side when seat belt is not connected. Maybe you have the same problem.

·
Registered
32,008 Posts
I have no rattles in my car during the warmer weather, but come winter about a dozen different ones appear. :(

As soon as I find one I seem to get a new one.
The thermal expansion of plastic such as Polypropylene can be 10%, as I learned on my first interior design job at Ford. For a full-width moulding such as a tailgate inside trim panel you need a gap between it and the parts around it , just to allow for the summer temperature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you hear it do you have anyone sitting in passenger seat?

I have such vibration/noise because seat buckle is hitting some plastic part on the side when seat belt is not connected. Maybe you have the same problem.
Thanks for the reply buddy! No I tried that I still hear the rattle with a passenger on board... very annoying ticking noise on the slightest vibration...HELP!

·
Registered
32,008 Posts
On my first Giulietta , back in 2011, the rubber bumper pad on the Bpillar lower was for LHD so the passenger seatbelt buckle would hit the plastic trim. The dealer kindly put one on the correct side and it stopped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
(UPDATE)

I located the zone from which the rattling is coming from. it is from the overhead section, particularly the sunroof.
I know now because the rattling stopped once I opened the sunroof. anyone knows what can be causing this at that particular spot? the roof operates flawlessly and seals well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts