Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Washed & waxed the cars today and noticed that the "chrome" on the Ti's grille is bubbling:eek: Given that I'm fastidious when it comes to car care I'm more than a little miffed:mad: Anyone else with the same issue? The GT bumper inserts look to be going the same way too so must be something to do with all the cack they spread on the roads:(

Attachments

N

·
0 Posts
You know, after all the talk from Alfa about quality
when the 159/Brera/Spider where launched, I have to
say that although mechanically there have been few issues,
things like trim seem to have skipped a lot of QA.

The rear light cluster on my Brera has definitely been
bodge-repaired by the supplier. Once it's off the car
it's obvious.

The bonnet and boot badges faded.

The front grill work paint peeled off.

The famous rocking seat, the scratch off badges on the keys.
All part of a lack of attention to detail.

Mine is probably one of the oldest Breras on here.
But it is only 3 years old.

It's a shame that these stupid little details are
not really bothered about.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My "chrome" strip along my tailgate, on my TI has started to bubble and has faded so is quite dull, Dunno if i could get hold of another one somewhere? Shouldn't happen to a 3yr old car!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is this a warranty item? Mine is the same. Recently had a new front badge and should have had the grill done at the same time. The black idea sound interesting...??

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yep, mine is the same. But it's only underneath so you can't see it unless you bend down - so I will probably just ignore it.

As far as I can tell it's plastic isn't it, not metal? So it can't be salt corrosion. Certainly the 'whiskers' in the grille are plastic (and pretty cheap looking chromed plastic at that!)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Washed & waxed the cars today and noticed that the "chrome" on the Ti's grille is bubbling:eek: Given that I'm fastidious when it comes to car care I'm more than a little miffed:mad: Anyone else with the same issue? The GT bumper inserts look to be going the same way too so must be something to do with all the cack they spread on the roads:(
I have got exactly the same on the crome whiskers(?) on mine - only about 8 months old.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well we all remember how chromium plate was applied in the past, and to what materials, and the process involved, and the results that could happen, don't we?:(:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Re-chroming on a regular basis? I even remember in the old Exchange and Mart, an electric metal bristled brush, connected to a battery, dipped in the supplied fluid concoction, and off you went, DIY re-plating! Yo! Ha! :D :lol:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to mine, that could have been a pic of my car, there's a thread about it somewhere. I pointed it out to Meridien Bournemouth, together with the fact that the lacquer was starting to flake off both front wheels. Service manager Rob Stratford took pics to send to ARUK, who approved a new grille and re-lacquering of the wheels, no further problems three months later, though Rob surprised me by claiming not to have seen either problem before. And on the way that plastic grilles are chromed, the process used is vacuum depositing, very widely used in the plastics industry.

On yet another thread here on 'problem Alfas', and how awful some of our dealers are, Fraser makes the very valid point that for every one of us that complains, there are a large number who are perfectly happy with their cars, so this is a good place to point out that after six months, that's the sum total of faults that I've experienced with my car. So far...

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI, I had the same problem on my '56 159 1.9 JTDm. Replaced under dealer warranty, ie in the 3rd year. They also replaced the faded AR bonnet badge. All I need to sort now is the rubbing noise from front wheel (drive shaft/bearing?) and the hesitation on acceleration (EGR valve?)
Oh joy> looks aren't evreything...are they ???

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Resurrecting this one from the depths, I commented when I left the 159 for its first service (20600 miles / 13 months in case you're at all interested) at Western in Edinburgh yesterday that I'd spotted a bit of bubbling on the grille, but didn't make any big issue about it.

When I went back to collect it a couple of hours later, they'd replaced the item in question - no fuss, no quibble. I do like our dealer up here, :thumbs: :D.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts