1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted this very cool idea while browsing AutoBlog:

http://www.pitstartgarage.com

Snip from AutoBlog:
If you're a London gearhead and want to work on your car but have no place to do it, you'll want to check out Pit Start, a new self-service garage. It is exactly what it sounds like - a communal pay-by-the-hour workspace. Would-be tinkerers can pre-book a space or drop in, and upon arrival, a Pit Start employee will assign you one of the twenty repair bays depending on the kind of work you'll be doing.

Bays can be rented for a minimum of hour, and it's £10 for bays without lifts (a little over $15 USD) or £20 (roughly $30 USD) for one of the six bays that come with a four-ton hoist. Pit Start provides an array of common tools for free, sells oil and basic fluids, has a directory of nearby mechanics, and can arrange to have parts delivered for you within the hour. The only things you can't do are tasks that involve welding or paint spraying. This month, bay rental is 50% off, and the garage is open 24/7 in case you get the urge to install a turbo at 3 a.m. They even provide shop manuals.
Very clever idea I thought. How about you all?

I need something like this where I can wash my car as I have no garden or garden hose to get water from. :lol:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I think theres an oportunity there for any garage with lifts going spare. From a garage point of view, there are probably a lot of Health and Safety and COSSH issues which might make it too much hassle.

I know its a service I would use if it was available.

J

·
0 Posts
wow, how busy would i be down there....my car would live on one of those ramps

·
Registered
15 Posts
wow a fantastic idea me thinks especially if you are like me and havent got a garage or drive to work on ....recon theres a niche in the market there

·
0 Posts
I would grab the chance TBH - I have done a fair bit of work under my car on the drive - not the best of situations in some cases

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cool! Decent site too!:thumbs:
Thanks man.

I gave the car a good once over and changed the fluids, twas a breeze on the lift. The state of my exhaust is a bit shocking but being able to fit a new one in Pit Start means my wallet has not done a runner just yet.

I would quite like to change the clutch and clutch slave cylinder but removing the subframe sounds a bit much for me. Anybody had any experience with removing the gearbox?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seriously:rant:, it amazes me how such a leading motor programme (5th Gear) cant even do 2 min of research to back up these FALSE claims........"1st and only" shame on the producers and research/marketing team......... CLEARLY false advertising.
Legal caction to follow im sure......

I-Tuned.com WAS OPENED BEFORE PIT START SO HOW CAN THEY CLAIM TO BE THE 1ST AND ONLY IN EUROPE. CLEARLY STEALING THE CREDIT FROM I-Tuned.com
Pitstart opened May 09 I-Tuned.com July 08 ..............
please view these links as proof and come to your own conclusion..
BBC - Norfolk - People - Norfolk's DIY car repair service
BBC NEWS | England | DIY garage open for business
BBC NEWS | UK | Motorists turn to DIY servicing

www.i-tuned.com

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully your work is better than your website. Maybe you should ask pigloo to give you a hand with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully your work is better than your website. Maybe you should ask pigloo to give you a hand with that.
yes i agree the website is not great but its all we had to work with at the time,

and yes our work is better lol not hard to see that by looking at what people can ACTUALLY do here.....:wow:

The pics on the site are good example

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
It seem's well set up, i like the comment on the remark on Autoblog "remind's me of the Garage in Christine!" :lol:

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
I have been looking into setting up a similar place in the North West,
i can find the perfect place and get the ramps at not such a bad price,
Then along comes Mr Rent and his Biatch sister Miss Insurance

Goodnight Vienna:(

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I-Tuned.com WAS OPENED BEFORE PIT START SO HOW CAN THEY CLAIM TO BE THE 1ST AND ONLY IN EUROPE. CLEARLY STEALING THE CREDIT FROM I-Tuned.com

www.i-tuned.com
07799533465[/QUOTE]

I recall even as a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's there was this type of operation on Slough Trading Estate and it was nothing new then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seriously:rant:, it amazes me how such a leading motor programme (5th Gear) cant even do 2 min of research to back up these FALSE claims........"1st and only" shame on the producers and research/marketing team......... CLEARLY false advertising.
Legal caction to follow im sure......

www.i-tuned.com
No one cares......

Besides Pit Start aren't claiming to be the first DIY garage, rather the first Drive Thur Self service only garage. Its in the wording ;)

It seems that I-Tuned are upset by all of the coverage that Pit Start has received and have started a slander campaign. For what reason I don't know, perhaps they aren't doing too well?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts