Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this deserves all the attention it can get

this post from Pistonheads is missing,

On track, it did go into limp mode when left-foot braking. Then, the engineer was in the car with his laptop for some time before going out for a few laps and left foot braking - all was fine. So back out we went in Race mode, then within half a lap went back into limp mode. Alfa provided tyre support which we were happy about as we had very high hopes and were looking forward to driving it.

as is that whole conversation

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
following all the comments below that clip and the ****storm they deservedly got for reasons that are OBVIOUS, here is Pistonheads recent response

Hi all,

Just to add a bit more detail to this video, as there seems to be a few wild conspiracy theories being thrown around!

- The Giulia was a production car, and given to us with 5,000 miles on it. I believe it was the car used on Top Gear. The test was conducted on May 3rd so that's the car and when it happened.

- The car had thrown up the 'check engine' light a couple of times already on the road but often it would disappear again. When the car was working people absolutely loved it and I can not make that point strongly enough: the original PH review praised the Quadrifoglio highly, as have subsequent stories on the regular models. We like the car very much and want to see it do well; of course we all have cars we like but the suggestion of overt bias towards the Geman cars is quite upsetting.

- Obviously we would have preferred not to drive the Giulia with the warning light on but it was 3pm by the time this video was shot, having been trying to fix the car all day. The Alfa technician with the car had to go to Chester because his diagnostics tool broke (!) and so we were massively time restricted. We tried to film the car while it was running properly and then it malfunctioned again. We thought that some video of the car would be better than none at all but perhaps in hindsight it wasn't. Would you have wanted to see M3 v. C63 with the Alfa in the pit? That would also explain why we didn't swap cars - there simply wasn't the time!

- Most importantly, we are trying to get this test reorganised. We know the Alfa is very good and we want to give it a fair chance to prove itself. For the reasons listed above it wasn't possible this time but we're confident it can happen again. Certainly however the above video is not some propaganda vid for the Germans - they are good cars that were working on the day, the Alfa is a good car that wasn't. I envisage a far closer comparison - and a better video - when we get them together again.

I hope that clears things up a little. If you have any more questions about the test then drop me an email on [email protected]. I'm very keen that what actually happened is known before any alternative facts gain traction!

Cheers!

Matt
courtesy of Brooking10

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You clearly feel strongly about this.

What do you feel they did that was sloppy ?

What would you like to see happen Papa ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
lets talk about it ... its a forum, its what forums are for

what are your thoughts?

I never watch these things, you either want the Alfa or you don't,

I agree with Duemila

Everybody makes their own choice and should do his or her own homework

What I find rather odd is the fact that people are attacking PH and accusing them of bias and implying that they caused the fault. You keep banging on about left foot braking when a) there is nothing to suggest that actually caused the fault and b) even if it did isn't a bit odd that a car of this type can't cope with that ?

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
then why did they delete the suggestion? or more to the point, the question
the question was simply put ... "did you left foot brake"
there was a response
there was a courteous response to the reply given
and its been deleted

also all posts by another guy have been deleted, who also came up with rational and sensible discourse

what are they trying to hide? if anything

leads me to think they are trying to hide THEIR incompetence,

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
???
OK so even if they were it's still ridiculous that a high performance car like this fails so readily.

You are confirming with that quote that PH wanted the car to succeed and it let them down.

I know exactly how that feels.

Hardly worthy of a self congratulatory :lick:

I wonder if the You Tube user PepsiMax is a member on here ?

Similarly Alistair Taylor.

Alistair Taylor ? what makes you make that allegation, and what difference does it make? you obviously disagree with him and Pepsi Max, by the looks

so what happened to Alistair Taylors posts in that comments section? ... there is no trace of Alistair Taylor ever making a comment

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'm not PH's biggest fan, but they seem to have done due diligence here, and ARUK seem to have let them down.

Can you imagine Ferrari doing this? Ferrari would have delivered a working car, modded and set up specifically for the track, kidnapped Dan and family, replaced him with a double, had the double not just provide a glowing review but also quietly sabotage all the other cars, and then at the end of it all only released Dan etc alive on the proviso that they never speak of any of this again. And then banned him from test driving any more of their cars anyway.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
then why did they delete the suggestion? or more to the point, the question
the question was simply put ... "did you left foot brake"
there was a response
there was a courteous response to the reply given
and its been deleted

also all posts by another guy have been deleted, who also came up with rational and sensible discourse

what are they trying to hide? if anything

leads me to think they are trying to hide THEIR incompetence,

Where are/were these comments, on You Tube ?

I don't understand your incompetence point. What is incompetent about a road tester employing foot braking on a race track in a very high performance car ?

My guess would be that if any such comments were removed it was perhaps at the request of ARUK press office as why would they want people to think driving a performance car as a performance car causes it to throw a wobbly.

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
incompetence would be continuing to thrash a car that has delivered a check engine warning until it breaks down and then continue to film and "review"
more incompetence in their obvious leaving all the posts that refer to a "conspiracy" so they can make the claim about "conspiracy theories"

this is "german engineering" at its darkest as per some of the comments

why are you defending censorship? i would have thought you would have been OUTRAGED at poor workmanship (in this case, this review)

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
where are all the missing posts? where are their admissions of left foot braking sending it into limp mode ? what does that tell you? i call it incompetence

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Papa you aren't answering my questions

What platform are you referring to as having lots of missing posts ? You Tube or the Pistonheads forum ?

There is/was no "admission of LFB sending it into limp mode".

On You Tube you were the guy asking about LFB weren't you ?

Why are you so hung up on that ?

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Papa you aren't answering my questions
What platform are you referring to as having lots of missing posts ? You Tube or the Pistonheads forum ?
YouTube of course, and you know that
Brooke...do you work for Pistonheads? LOL

there a couple of coincidences here

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I find it difficult to believe that left-foot braking has only just become a problem with a press car with 5000 miles.

Even *if* this were the case, that is simply poor software handling. I think it is perhaps an archaic way of driving, but the car should be handling these errors appropriately.

It also makes me wonder just how many protected failure modes this car has. I even wonder if it needed this particular mode, or if they are simply trying to protect the engine from literally everything.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts