Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been posting my woes in the other marques lounge, but I have to ask you guys as well...
Is Piston slap a problem? does it cause damage? Is a manufacturer responsible for sorting it out or can it be put down to a particular characteristic of an engine?
The vehicle is only six months old and has done 1500ish miles....
It sounds crap on cold start up...
What should I do next?
FGN

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know about piston slap - sounds painful, but if you're not happy about something on a 6 month old car, whatever the problem is, then you should definitely get the dealer/manufacturer to address the problem. If it's a problem that will cause bigger problems down the line because of premature wear etc then you don't want to end up out of pocket.

If the dealer is stubborn you could always get 3rd party advice from another garage - the most you'll lose is a couple of hours labour costs, but it should give you more leverage with the people who sold you the car if the other garage highlight a real problem.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Piston slap isn't necessarily harmfull and certain engines have been known to have this as a characteristic, for example early Sierra Cosworths. However, I can't think of any modern road car that would have this so best you take it up under the warranty.
Good luck.

Phil

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem has been going on since october, i have been in contact with the dealer, they just keep faxing "FIAT technical" (no one has a number for this mysterious dept!)
i have tried FIAT uk and FIAT customer services but I keep going round in circles.
The problem affects at least six other customers at the small branch who service the punto, and those are only the ones I know about.
FIAT know there is a problem, they have replaced several customers engines, but have now stopped (awaiting the new fix i.e. this is proving costly!)
But they won't do anything about my wifes car.
I am trying to find out how widespread this issue is, but I don't know what to do as a next step?
FGN

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link, could be usefull if it goes as far as court.....
At the moment I am going to hit them with the sale of goods act and ask for a full refund, and see where that gets me...
FGN

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Try going to another dealer if still no joy go to Watchdog and Trading Standards and everyone else you can think of and also go back to your original dealer and tell them if the fault is`nt rectified then your going to every newspaper and Wtchdog to tell them how crap there service is ..................and try telling them that your gonna stop the finance payments if you have any

Also seek legal advice from a solicitor or even Citizens Advice and go from there

By yourself your just a minority but get some backing and they will listen ;) :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok after stirring up much Sh*t at the dealer, FIAT uk threataning with watchdog trading standards etc, I have been told that fiat technical now have a fix!!!!
They have offered me teflon coated pistons or a rebore of the engine with new liners and pistons...
Which should I go for?
Another annoying piont that has come from this is the number of owners of new fiats who will have been fobbed off by the main dealers telling them its a characteristic of the engine, I phoned one and was told "don't worry they all do that its a design feature of the engine, besides the noise goes away after its warmed up"..
Holy Cr*p thes guys are scary....

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
From a legal point of view, I guess I would recommend playing dumb and taking whatever advice they offer. Why should you the consumer specify which is the best way to repair a car which they designed? I would suggest going for whichever fix comes with a warranty!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All work will be done and covered by warranty whichever solution I choose...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not go for both? A rebore with new liners and teflon coated pistons?
They've got to owe you that much for mucking you about so much.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would a rebore make the engine capacity ever so slightly larger ????

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I would go with the rebore and new liners and pistons etc at least that way your gonna have new bores with tight fitting pistons :D

If you go for the teflon covered pistons then your still gonna have slightly worn bores with a new piston fitted..............methinks this is the cheaper option and might not be as effective in the long term

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
marlon said:
Would a rebore make the engine capacity ever so slightly larger ????
Not as far as I know (but what do I know!!!).....I though they opened the bore up and the put new liners in the the origonal size??? Speedy?

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
wrinx said:
Not as far as I know (but what do I know!!!).....I though they opened the bore up and the put new liners in the the origonal size??? Speedy?

wrinx
They only do that if it has liners fitted as standard not sure on if that engine does or not :rolleyes:

Whether they change the liner or rebore its still the best way to repair it rather than just putting a set of coated pistons in

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've had a look at the Fiat parts disc and it looks like there are no liners and the rebore size is +0.4mm as this is the only oversize piston listed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
mave said:
From a legal point of view, I guess I would recommend playing dumb and taking whatever advice they offer. Why should you the consumer specify which is the best way to repair a car which they designed? I would suggest going for whichever fix comes with a warranty!
Yes it would probably best to get the Dealers opinior re which is the best way to go as if a warranty issue then they should not have a vested interest either way unless FIAT are putting pressure on them.
This would seem unlikely otherwise FIAT would not offer two solutions but rather just fix the problem.
Infact, it may not be possible to determine the best solution until the engine has been stripped.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Its a bit worrying that one of the 'solutions' does'nt exist. How can they replace liners that are'nt there? If the rebore option is chosen then the life of the engine is effectively being reduced since there is no further rebore possible. I would consult the Citizens Advice Bureau for a legal opinion before being forced into a choice particularly since any choice you make may jeopardise any further warranty claim you may need to make.

phil

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can't you reject the car as it's not of merchantable quality, as Fiat have basically owned up to it by offering to re-build the engine :confused:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
New style engines have a so-called "wet" liner - it makes up part of the cooling channels, (so one side of it is wet when the antifreeze goes in).

You can bore these out the same as any other liner but typically they aren't as thick as a traditional liner (i.e. where the cooling channel is in the block material and the liner tranfers heat to it by conduction through the block.

If the worst came to the worst and you run out of liner rebore sizes, you can change the liners. I don't know anyone who ever needed a rebore though - typically the rings go - so I wouldn't worry about cashing in your only rebore. You won't have the car long enough to need another.

If they rebore it, they may do a better job of matching up piston and bore sizes than the factory did.

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts