Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I need to change my rear disks and pads and just found out the hard way after hrs messin around with the damn things that i need a specific tool. The piston rewind tool. Has anybody got one to lend or assist me with in and around Leicester?
:rolleyes: Why couldn't it be easy like the fronts.
(I'll be offline tonight, out and about but will check 2mrw morning:) )

*Edit- Thanks for all the advice, brought one from Halfords for £21.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi guys, I need to change my rear disks and pads and just found out the hard way after hrs messin around with the damn things that i need a specific tool. The piston rewind tool. Has anybody got one to lend or assist me with in and around Leicester?
:rolleyes: Why couldn't it be easy like the fronts.
(I'll be offline tonight, out and about but will check 2mrw morning:) )
I know i will get stick for this, but......you can CAREFULLY use a STRONG pair of long nose pliers and a strong arm to do this with ease...

there, now i will get grief about bodging up the caliper :rolleyes: :D :D :D

K

·
0 Posts
I know i will get stick for this, but......you can CAREFULLY use a STRONG pair of long nose pliers and a strong arm to do this with ease...

there, now i will get grief about bodging up the caliper :rolleyes: :D :D :D

That's what I do too. It's hard going if the piston is seized but otherwise, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get to Halfords and buy the Laser caliper rewind tool. Then after you have finished, clean it up a bit and take it back for a refund.
Thats what someone has done to the one i just bought! Packaging was perfect, but a couple of staples missing and oil on the steel plate and bit that fits in the piston!
:confused:

Allan

·
Registered
384 Posts
i have used a large g clamp and some pipe pliers, keep some pressure and turn, obviously. sometimes its the kind of thing that people have in their garage anyway.

·
Registered
38,297 Posts
I have a laser wind back tool. It was one of the best investments I have made. :thumbs:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a laser wind back tool. It was one of the best investments I have made. :thumbs:
I bought the same tool Symonh... Strange though, it was for my old Citreon C5 front calipers, yet fits perfectly on the Alfa 156 rear calipers too!!!
I agree, worth while investment. It saved me screwing up the citroen's brakes as the piston wind back threads are specifically "handed" per side:thumbs:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Use a G clamp put the moving end into the piston and help the piston around with pliers for the first turn and then it should go back with just the clamp :thumbs:

Worked for me :)

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Use a G clamp put the moving end into the piston and help the piston around with pliers for the first turn and then it should go back with just the clamp :thumbs:

Worked for me :)
Really? So no rotating after the first turn??

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
look at the Laser tool site ! there is the perfect tool

1 - 20 of 27 Posts