Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 1999 156 1.8ts that has had a head gasket failure. The composte gasket material failed at the rear of the fire ring on piston 1. this sort of failure is not unusual. as a result of getting hot piston 3 has failed the alloy failing between the rings. I have pictures for anyone who is interested. This is not a CF3 engine i understand as it has a composite gasket not a multi layer metal item.
My problem is this. The pistons are not the usual dished pistons I have seen on other 1.8 engines I have worked on, but have a domed top and very deep valve cuts. These do not appear to be available from the usual aftermarket piston suppliers.
I have rang and ordered the part from alfa main dealer quoting the number on top of the piston 2Q2 but have been sent a piston that is different. The parts man isnt great
Anyone know the correct alfa part number for this piston - or can give me any further clues, or better still has a piston i could buy.
Cheerds
Matt

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
2Q2 means the piston was made by Mondial and that you have a class B piston, if I understood the codes right.

It looks like Class B pistons disappeared and were replaced by Class C pistons instead, leaving just A and C in the parts list.

For a non CF3 engine (CF2 then) there are two parts listed:

1) Part no. 60812502 / 5895253 (later replacement)

2) Part no. 60814517 / 71713063 (later replacement)

I have no idea why there are two part numbers for the same motor but the difference relates to modifications under C3769 or D3769.

3769 is described as "NEW PISTONS WITH LOWERED SEGMENTS, ORIGIN 145-146, ADOPTED" but I don't know what the C or D mean. What's the donkey's chassis/engine no? That will tell us which one you need.

There are no oversized pistons listed, so the part number differences above relates to the "C" or the "D" mod' whatever that was.

CF3 engines are different again.. A, C and E-class pistons are listed.. Someone's been raiding the Mercedes parts bin!?!?!? :D

Ralf S.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts