Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed the Koni/Eibach suspension upgrade. It was a bit of a chew on but I'm glad I stuck at it as I'm stoked with the results. How she looks and how she handles are just what I was hoping for.

I did however chop the top coil off the front springs :lol: Just to get the front a little lower.

I have 16" speedlines on at the moment with 205 55's and the measurments are as follows:

Front: 320mm from centre of hub to underside of wheel arch.

Rear: 340mm from centre of hub to underside of wheel arch.

I'll have some of that :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Well played :thumbs:

L

·
0 Posts
great colour, loving the Hi-Loop :)

whats the difference in the 2 photos.

not too sure about cutting the coil off the spring though :(

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I know the low down look isn't everyones cup of T but I like it.

And I agree Kiscix. I love the colour. It changes depending on the light. In low light is looks almost burgandy but in the sunshine it looks cherry red :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the difference in the 2 photos.
None, Just a slightly different angle.

And I sat down with a brew looking at the front shock assembly for about half an hour wondering whether to chop the top coil off the front spring or not. I really did want the front lower than the standard length spring gave me but I was a little scared to do it. I decided to go for it and I'm glad I did.

L

·
0 Posts
the spring you cut, was it a new Eibach? even at its full length i should have ended up with a lower stance than the standard spring, even if it were sport pack? unless you cut the original sport pack spring? If it were me i'd have cut the BOTTOM coil off, not the top. the lower coils are much closer in diameter, relative to each other than the top ones.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the spring you cut, was it a new Eibach? even at its full length i should have ended up with a lower stance than the standard spring, even if it were sport pack? unless you cut the original sport pack spring? If it were me i'd have cut the BOTTOM coil off, not the top. the lower coils are much closer in diameter, relative to each other than the top ones.
It was the new Eibach I cut. And I had to cut the top (wider) coil as the smaller bottom coil is a different size to the coil above it and wouldn't have fitted onto the shock absorber.

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
Well done mate, she looks great now. Cutting coils off was a bit of a mental thing to do but to be fair, it doesn't look too low and it should stiffen the front up a bit. The rear looks perfect in comparison, you've kept the Alfa stance of low at the front, high at the back.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well done mate, she looks great now. Cutting coils off was a bit of a mental thing to do but to be fair, it doesn't look too low and it should stiffen the front up a bit. The rear looks perfect in comparison, you've kept the Alfa stance of low at the front, high at the back.
Cheers buddy, I knew it was a risk taking the grinder to the front springs. I think I lost about 15mm in height and it made all the difference in how she looks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
be sure to ge the car 4 wheel aligned
It's not actually too bad. Does pull ever so slightly to the left. I'll get the wheels straightened once I have the anti roll bars replaced I think. The track rod ends looks rusty as hell when I changed the front shocks so I'll change them and get it all done at the same time.

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
Yes if you shorten a spring it does increase its rate, so it'll be stiffer.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
word of advice now .........you will have to set front toe to toe in as this will counteract excessive camber on fronts ie inner tyre wear

1 - 20 of 22 Posts