Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't wait. Picking up my new car tomorrow morning, I'm getting the red Cloverleaf on the Pistonheads site from Scotland. Plane from Bristol then a bit of a road trip back to S Wales. Spoken quite a bit to the salesman and it seems it is a well looked after example that has just had the belt and MOT done. Managed to negotiate a fair chunk off the asking price so as long as everything is as described, come 10 am, I will be heading home with a big smile on my face. Had loads of Fiats, a lovely 1995 Integrale Evo II Kat and a Mondial t before but this will be my first Alfa despite a short spell of looking after one while a mate was away.
Watch this space will update tomorrow....
Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the red one with tan interior? Looks ace!

That would be my top colour combo.
Yes, that's the one. I have been pretty much forced into buying a car because of a VERY long story about work but I thought, sod it, if I've got to get another motor, I'm going to get one I've always wanted. Looked around a bit and plumped for this one in the end. It had to be red and when I saw the tan interior, well, the rest they say is history.
Just keeping my fingers crossed cos it's along way to go for a banger but I'm sure it'll be what he says

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well it sure looks nice in the pics and I think that colour combo is really rare!

Hope it all works out well and be sure to post some pics on here when you get her home.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Good choice...I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's had the all important belt change so with that and a recent full service it should be sound. Just make sure the oil is topped up to the maximum mark on the dipstick before starting your long journey home because the Twin Spark engine is known to use some oil (quite normal unless it's an excessive amount). Check for a clattery diesel sound on startup (disappearing within 30 seconds). If this happens then the variator is worn out and you can try and use it to negotiate more money off the car (replacing the variator means all belts off again so it's quite a time consuming job). Also, make sure you try ALL the electrics out to ensure everything works properly (TIP: The boot release switch to the left of the hazard warning switch in the centre of the dashboard only opens the boot when the ignition switch is completely OFF, for safety reasons).

Anyway, have fun driving back...you'll have a big smile on your face :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've got it home in one piece. First impressions are that I am sceptical about the belt having been done as there is a whirring noise coming from the belt area of the engine. Could this just be the alyternator or water pump? I guess if it is the belt would have to come off for the pump anyway? The guy has agreed to knocking £200 off the sale price (£1300) if he cannot prove in writing that it was done tho so we'll see how that goes. The discs grate like mad but the fronts are grooved and cross drilled so they'll be coming straight off and a standard set going back on.
Other than those two negatives, the paint is not at all faded and apart from the odd little mark, seems as though it will come up well after a day with the polish.
The interior is lovely and again will come up nice with a bit of attention.
Oh forgot to mention the drivers door speaker is buggered so gonna have to have a look out for some replacement ones.
401 miles back on the one tank so not too bad methinks??

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It's possible that the belts have been over-tensioned. You can eliminate/confirm the cause as being anything on the auxiliary belt circuit (alternator, power steering pump, aircon compressor and tensioners) by temporarily removing the auxiliary belt and starting the engine with it off to see if the noise is still there or not.

If the noise is still there then go a stage further and whip off the cam covers to see if it's obvious whether or not the sound is coming from the tensioner pulleys. A whirring noise is unlikely to be the water pump TBH. With the cam covers off that would also give you the opportunity to inspect the belts because it should be pretty obvious if the belts are new (for starters the branding and directional arrows on the belt should look they were just printed on yesterday).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, thanks. I'm taking it to my local on Monday to let him have a look.
In the meantime, it's down to work with the Autoglym.
I'll hopefully get some pics up later.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That looks lovely speedbird, got to love the shape and style of the 145, i need 4 doors so have a 146ti and they are great cars.
When your happy the belts have been done and you get the car just "so" your going to be in heaven:thumbs:

I still can't believe how good they are to drive.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with dazzo, I had a red 145 cloverleaf and i loved it, i drive the gt now but not half as hard as i drove the 145:tut: just watch the paint work it has a tendency to fade a bit.
enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts