Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. Looking forward to picking up my '08 plate tomorrow. I have owned an Alfa before (146 1.7 16V) but that was a few cars ago and I have missed it ever since! I am new to diesel so expect this forum to be invaluable in my steep learning curve.

Any tips for a new 159 diesel owner?

Thanks and see you soon!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The key with a 159 / Brera diesel is to give it a good run a coupld of times a week (10 miles plus at 60mph or more) to allow the DPF to regenerate and dont short run the car.

Keep the computer display on current consumption, this way you will notice a regen when it drops, accompanied with a bassier exhaust note and the boost guage will drop like a stone when you lift off (normally it floats down) If you see this, put the car in 4th to keep the revs up above 2000rpm until its finished (signalled by the MPG returning to normal) it usually takes 10 miles/ 10 minutes, and occurs every 180 miles around town, or up to 350 miles or so if the car lives on the motorway.

Happy motoring and dont be surprised if youre nearly £100.00 filling it up!

Other than that it has fewer oddities than your oil guzzling twin spark.

If the PAS fluid is manky on pick up, ask them to change it for Tutela G1/R

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CJ, I fully intended to be taking it out for long drives anyway so this sounds like the perfect excuse!

I sold the T Spark 10 years ago and don't remember any oddities, just lots of fun. Perhaps I have a selective memory!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
A tip is to remember to reset the MPG computer when you do new journeys as the longer you stay on it unchanged, the less it shows up new figures. If this doesn't make sense, see the difference it makes after you have done it!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I am very pleased with the car.

Showa - can you electorincally fold your wing mirrors in when parking? I thought this was a feature on the Ti but mine does not seem to have it?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
If the car has the fold option, it will have a small push button at the bottom of the mirror adjustment pad.

If it doesnt there will be a dummy button here that doesnt move.

Mine has it, but I also have the memory seat/mirror pack.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks CJ Romeo. I did locate said button yesterday and it appears to be a dummy. I had not realised it was a separate option.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Thanks CJ Romeo. I did locate said button yesterday and it appears to be a dummy. I had not realised it was a separate option.
I wouldn't panic. Certain features of the TI spec are a bit more 'variable' than what people think. Mine has no cruise control, parking sensors or Blue & Me. All 'de-specced' by the first owner (ex-demo), presumably to save money.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thankfully everything else I was expecting is there and in good order so I am still more than happy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts