Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected my 1.9JTDM GT yesterday and have updated my profile picture to show it.

Silver is not my favourite colour but this car is in tip top condition..

36K on the clock, FSH from Veloce's in North London and a bargain price of £6000 for a car that is only just over 4 years old.

Veloce's sold it to the the person I bought it from for £10,000 last April. Ouch.. I think that says something about the state of the used car market at present..

It's nippy enough in standard setup but I'm looking to get a remap shortly to give it a bit more oomph..

One thing that jars is the gear knob.. It's light and feels cheap. I can't understand how it found its way onto a car like this...

I'll see how things go and might even invest in the Q2 upgrade...

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi i just paid 6995 a couple months ago mine had 41 thousand on it what spec u got ie leather bose bigger wheels so it sound like a right bargin did you trade anything ?

G

·
0 Posts
I think the GT looks **** hot in silver (I would say that as mine is but to be honest it is the second I have had in silver purposely). Really suits it and takes less cleaning :lol:. That is a proper bargain you got. Mine is up for £6495 but then it does have 18" wheels, a remap and some other bits I have added recently

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mine is the Lusso with Bose and leather seats.. I've just been out for a drive and it drives really well and after a Peugeot 407 it feels like a racing car around the corners...

I still think the gear knob lets it down....

Also, it was a private sale so no trade in. I've got to unload the Peugeot for a few grand on ebay...

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
sounds like a bargain. Silver is awesome!

looks like you've got 16" wheels there? ....you need bigger ones

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah.. I don't want to lose all my fillings bouncing about on rough roads..

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much does a decent garage charge to fit the Q2 diff and does it make sense to have the clutch changed at the same time?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
How much does a decent garage charge to fit the Q2 diff and does it make sense to have the clutch changed at the same time?
Alfa Workshop at Royston are quoting £680 on their website - but as the Q2 has gone up in cost I am not sure that this is correct. You could try them or AutoLusso as both should be reasonable close to you.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
A Quaife is the new Q2 darling!:lol:

Picking up mine in about 20 mins, Q2'd.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don't bother changing the gear knob, they bloody difficult to remove and it's impossible to find another gear knob that fits properly :mad:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'd heard. Who on earth decided on that gear knob though? It feels too light to me and the fake metallic covering is peeling on mine.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
So I'd heard. Who on earth decided on that gear knob though? It feels too light to me and the fake metallic covering is peeling on mine.
Alfa gear knobs are always a weak point. My 156 had a totally unmarked wooden one. I later discovered that all the gear position markings had actually completely worn off! You have to overlook the minor shortcomings of Alfas and enjoy the drive :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know. If the gear knob is the worst of it then things aren't too bad...

·
Registered
941 Posts
dc, enjoy it while you can!!! You gonna need deep pockets, if my GT experience is anything to go by!!!!

Just put it in for a 72k mile service. New clutch, two new upper wish bones, replace drivers side external door handle!!! Bill so far..... £1200. I'm looking at a new gear box aswell. But I have not got the final prce for that yet!!:cry:

Still, it's an Alfa and there is nothing out there that comes even close to it for drivability and style!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've just had to pay out 700 quid getting a 5 year old Peugeot 407 ready for sale and it would be 200 more if a warranty hadn't covered part of it. It kind of puts thing in perspective..

I spoke to the owner of ProAlfa in Watford today and he mentioned the clutch, the wishbones and the door handles as the things that fail on the GT. Uncanny.

Cars are so cheap to buy at the moment but repairs certainly aint...

I must say, the road holding on the GT is something else.

·
Registered
941 Posts
That's where my Gt is, ProAlfa!!

The Black one, looking very sorry for itself!!!

At the end of the day, things wear out!!!!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If you look after it well with proper servicing and lots of love it will be fine, I had horrors with mine but that's because it was a bit of a wreck, but now it's back to its former glory and I'm in love, also have a sore neck because I keep looking back at it, the tease!!:p

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hah.. That would explain why the repairs seemed uncanny.

I did see your GT up on the ramp. I even saw the diff from it as he was explaining how the Q2 is fitted. That's probably more of the car than you've seen..

Small world.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lots of love and proper servicing usually mean lots of money in my experience..

But that's cars for you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts