Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening folks,

I need to replace my 2002 Spider drivers side door check strap as its making the dreaded clicking opening and closing

I’ve searched the forums, and see people have mention Fiat Doblo van or Alfa 156 as alternatives as 916 ones are super expensive.

Can anyone who has actually fitted one of the above, confirm its a simple direct fit, or is there some modifying to be done ?

Thanks in Advance !

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
There is a fairly easy way of doing it using a riv-nut of the correct size. The advantage of that is the clearance can be reduced to a bare minimum, actually quite tight, as the riv-nut can be expanded. If you want send it to me and I'll do it for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,113 Posts

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Those pins are used in the older door check straps, possibly Ph1. Totally Alfa do indeed have the replacement check straps. £54.30.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys thankyou very much for the info supplied.

To be honest not sure have the confidence to tackle the job using the Fiat Doblo part as i don't have a vice to hold things in, plus a you tube how to video would be really great help i think for me.

Armoore, thankyou for your kind offer. To confirm my car is a phase 2. If you like to pm me with your details we can discuss more. Many thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 5 cents on this. I had the same issue with my phase 2. Bought a replacement (repro) part from an Alfa supplier and paid around £50. Fitted it and lo and behold, it is still clicking. aargh...

Car is going to Alfa garage and will ask them to look at the source, to see if it is the strap, and why a new part is still causing it to click (could be another issue e.g. door alignment or hinges).

My advice (hindsight....) would be to replace pin first, and if that does not work then look at the whole unit and see what is causing the issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought one from Alfaholics a couple of years back Mine is a phase 3 GTV but I think the part was designed with the phase 2 in mind. Having owned a phase 2 previously the parts look the same.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The Fiat Doblo door check assembly seems to fit all the holes, but is approximately 5mm longer meaning your door will open even more. I will be fitting these, but with a 5mm aluminium spacer plate inside the door adjacent to the rubber spacer.
Picture showing the old Alfa part and the new Fiat part;

Attachments

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
PH1 is a different door check strap again you have slightly different mountings, Totally alfa and EB spares will not fit a PH1, The door slot is not large enough for the strap to pass through

1 - 13 of 13 Posts