Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
From Ultimatecarpage with links to the cars, including an Alfa 2600

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/

Yesterday we lost one of the greatest motoring personalities of the last six decades; Phil Hill. Best remembered as the first American to win the Formula 1 World Championship and as a three-time Le Mans winner, Hill's real enthusiasm for anything automotive continued to thrive long after his racing career. Many of us greatly enjoyed the insightful articles he wrote for Road & Track, especially those about a wide variety of historic racing cars. His roots as a mechanic were put to good use in the renowned Hill & Vaughn restoration company he co-founded. In 1977 his craftsmanship was awarded with the much coveted Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance 'Best of Show' award.

In his last years he suffered from Parkinson's decease, but he nevertheless was a frequent visitor, participant and judge at a variety of events. At the recent Monterey Historic Races he was due to make some parade laps in the Alfa Romeo, which he drove to his very first victory in 1951, together with fe llow American World Champion Mario Andretti. Sadly he fell ill on the evening before and never recovered.

We would like to remember the great man in the best way we can, by highlighting some of the finest cars he drove in his racing career. Two of which are pictured with Phil at the wheel during the 2006 Goodwood Revival. His doctors advised against even riding in these rough and smelly machines, but after several parade laps alongside his son Derek, he had enough and got behind the wheel during the next sessions. The first car he drove was the Alfa Romeo 8C 2900 MM he drove to his victory during the 1951 Pebble Beach road races. He later raced the car during the 1975 Monterey Historics and was due to ride in it again two weeks ago. Also in attendance at Goodwood were the Ferraris he drove to his three Le Mans wins; the 1958 winning 250 TR58 (again with Phil at the wheel), the 1961 winning 250 TRI61 and the 1963 winning 330 TRI/LM. During the 1967 BOAC 500 World Championship race Hill concluded his career in great form by clinching a victory in this Chaparral 2F.

This tribute is but a small reflection of the life of a truly great man. At PhilHill.com you can sign a book of remembrance.

Phil Hill, thank you and sleep well.

A

·
0 Posts
A sad day indeed. As a young boy I saw him race at Aintree and Oulton Park, though if i'm honest i can't remember much about it except it was noisy and exciting.

We used to support Phil Hill for no better reason than my eldest brother was also called Phil...which is important when you are nine.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
A true great indeed:( RIP:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts