Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again to all. I replaced the car stereo, but the live red wire goes into a screw up section, which has 2 springs inside where the 2 red wires meet, but mine has broken.

Does anyone know where I can get this part from, it's only a black plastic part which is all I need, I can take a photo if this helps to explain. :)

Many Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Hi again to all. I replaced the car stereo, but the live red wire goes into a screw up section, which has 2 springs inside where the 2 red wires meet, but mine has broken.

Does anyone know where I can get this part from, it's only a black plastic part which is all I need, I can take a photo if this helps to explain. :)

That sounds like an inline fuse holder?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not sure, but there is no sign of a fuse?

In each end there are 2 red wires, one for stereo and the other goes into the car for adapter. The ends of them are gold and flat and join with the black plastic with a spring on each end to make them touch. It's a black plastic barrel, and is very fragile, this is what has broken.

I'll post up a pic to make it more sense :)

Maybe worth a trip to a local audio centre

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
A fuse should go between the sprung bits, but it sounds like it has been bodged to bypass this by connecting the two sprung bits together. You can either replace it or chop it out and solder the wires together, most headunits will have a fuse in them already.

Halfords will have them, or search ebay for inline fuse holder

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Lovely thankyou Ian, it is the inline fuse holder that is broken, the plastic is very fragile.

There was no fuse inside, so it must of been bodged as you say.

I found this on ebay, will it be okay to use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-mm-20AMP-20A-In-line-Fuse-Holder-FuseHolder-250V-/180538156399?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a08e9a56f

What amp rating should I use for the car stereo please?

Also i'm not fantastic with electrics, but if I use a new inline fuse holder, do I cut both ends of the existing red wires in the car, to leave a clean cut?, and what is the best way to join them to a new fuse holder, can they be crimped, or is it best to solder together?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
That will be fine, crimping or soldering also fine, depending on what you have access to. Solder joints tend to fail more often than crimp joints due to the vibrations in the car, though a decent joint supported by heatshrink tubing will be fine there. You could use wire splicers or connection blocks if you fancy a quick bodge!

The fuse in the headunit is probably 10A, so go for that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jimmy, the parts are all ordered via eBay, it comes with everything that we need and the fuses.

Appreciate your help, and looking forward too seeing the new motor at the weekend.... :thumbs:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thats if we get there fella. The dam GTV has just started leaking oil out of the bl00dy driveshaft near the gearbox :(. Ive run it into the transmission centre that did my clutch and told them to sort it. If it costs more than 50p to fix I'm taking it back to hell where she came from :lol:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts