Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been covered before; I have a 2001 TS GTV and I thought the temp gauge was knackered as the needle never moved. Most journeys are on motorways and open roads. I got caught in traffic today and after about 5 mins the needle started to move and got to the first mark on the dial while I was stopped with the engine running. Once back on the open road it dropped back down to reading nothing.
Any ideas what to check or replace? I'm guessing it could either be a U/S thermostat or temp sensor or the gauge itself. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Sounds like thermostat stuck open. To check run the engine and put your hand on the top hose between the thermostat and radiator. Should suddenly get hot when thermostat opens , probably after 10 minutes or so. If it stays just getting slowly warmer then thermostat is stuck. Don't buy a cheap eBay one they are known to fail.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the advice; I checked the pipe to the rad this morning and it seemed to warm up slowly so I'm guessing that it is the thermostat. Guess what I'm doing this weekend?
I have looked at other threads on this subject and there was talk on one of red and blue antifreeze. Mine looks red so I'm guessing I need red; any recommendations and any idea how much I need?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
If it's red stick to it, never mix the two colours. I used red OAT technology anti-freeze/summer coolant. The thermostat is an easy job about 20 minutes. When you remove the stat put a tray/ container underneath, you won't lose too much coolant. I always buy 5 litres of anti-freeze, but I have 4 vehicles. Top up to the level in the expansion tank, run the engine and add extra coolant if needed. Check the coolant for the next fews days before you drive off, just in case you have a leak.:yes:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pash... Many thanks for the advice. The GTV is due a cam belt soon and I intend getting the water pump done at the same time so I'm guessing they will drain and refill the coolant so will probably just top it up with a something cheap, I'm hoping I won't need antifreeze in the very near future but you never know with the British weather!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pkr... Thanks again for some top advice, I had never thought of that. The GTV is due a cam belt soon and is booked in for a couple of weeks time. Spoke to them today and they are going to do the thermostat at the same time so problem solved.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New thermostat fitted and the gauge is now "working" but only gets to the first mark on the dial between 50 and 90. I have also changed the sender and no change. The thermostat was changed by Alfashop Norwich when I had the cam belt done and they checked the temp etc and said the thermostat is opening when it should, the fans are kicking in when they should and the running temp is correct etc so it is the gauge that is wrong; is this just one of those Alfa quirks or is it the guard itself that needs to be replaced? Is this a big job? Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Mines the same. Varies a bit with outside temperature but whilst moving sits halfway between 50 & 90. If stuck in traffic it goes up to just slightly over 90, the fans kick in and it will stay at 90. Once underway again it drops quickly. I ran the engine with MES plugged in and the gauge mirrors the temp reading on there.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I think the intermediate mark is indicative of the thermostat opening temperature; so under normal circumstances i.e. the radiator coping with the heat, that's what the needle points to.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Danny and PKR; thanks for the gen. I guess it is as good as it gonna get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My spider did the same, once a new thermostat was put in I had the same response as you. At speed the gauge hovers between 50 & 90, once I'm in traffic it moves to 90, once you get some speed on again the air cooling moves it back to 50-90 again! The fans do kick in and seem to work & it doesn't overheat, so I've just got used to it!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had the car for over 15 years and the gauge hasn't worked for about 13 of them so any movement of the needle is a bonus!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts