Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My first post in the newbie section last week was about techie stuff with a drivers window problem...ooops sorry, nevermind eh! So I was directed here.

Since then, thanks to various help from previous posts I seem to have solved the window problem which 'appears' to have been the blue/purple ECU box up above the passenger glove compartment. I could hear the relays clicking but only passenger window was working. Disconnecting and wiggling wires etc. the drivers window started working. When I fitted the pcb back in the box and shoved it into the space, it failed again. So now it's dangling around in free space but working. I daren't move it til I've driven to where I need to go today!

Anyway, so now the window is working, kind of, I get the airbag fault light come on, I guess because I was leaning on or moving the seat whilst operating ignition and other switches etc. So I was back on the forum to read for days about the diag port saga, which I realise has been going on for years! To cut a long story short and to help others, I bought the VAGKKL cable from scantool-direct.co.uk for £15 (bit pricey but not too bothered) and used MES 2.9. I had to change the com port on the laptop to COM1 (luckily I'm ex-IT so I have a bit of a clue!) but also had to use '98 GTV 3.0 V6 instead of the GTV 3.0 V6 below it whihc wouldn't connect at all. I didn't have to do anything to the cable (pin selections) and it connected to the airbag ECU. Reset the error codes (there were about 4 to do with intermittent values) and voila, light went off! BTW, my GTV 3.0 is phase 2 (2002) but MES wants you to select 3-pin. Worked anyway for me.

Hoorah! Back on track. The big thing that amazed me through this experience was taking off the speakers and finding the label that says 'Made in Italy'.......as if the Italians know anything about Hi-Fi :biglaugh: Going to buy myself a new stereo and speakers for a my reward for fixing all the bugs :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just a final update on the window issue. Turned out to be a burnt out 12V line on the connector of the blue/purple ECU box (behind glove-box) which was stopping the drivers window from functioning. The blue/purple box contains the window relays and the control mechanism for auto-dropping the windows slightly when opening/closing. During the investigations however, I carelessly damaged the tracks on the PCB (now I know it has 12V live all the time!) and had to solder 2 wires on the back to get it going again, that was a close one!

So I ran a new wire directly from the 12V connector leg on the PCB white connector, effectively replacing the green/white cable all the way to the drivers side window motor. I ran it right round the back of the dash and onto the white/green cable which I cut just inside the car before it enters the tunnel to the door. The cable was fine from there to the motor. I spent ages testing the continuity of this cable and couldn't work out why it wasn't working because the control unit seemed to be fine (relays were clicking o.k.) it was just the last inch or so across the connector block, doh!!

The 2 large white connector blocks control the window activation and the smaller black one on the other side controls the central locking....because it don't work if it's not connected!

I am now a master at replacing door cards and have fitted Hertz 165.3 DSK speakers in place of the old ones to keep it Italian, thanks to advice from PKR. Copied the design using an MDF former to bring them out a bit to avoid the window mechanism. Bit of faffing about but it worked a treat and sounds fantastic, might make a small adjustment to the drivers side when I get a chance, positioning has to be pretty spot on but the grills cover up all your dodgy work. :thumbup:

Thanks a million to previous forum reports and info. very happy customer. Pics attached below of the offending blue/purple box and speakers with a bit of extra sound proofing fitted. Timer for a huge beer! In fact I've had several since I fixed it all a couple of weeks ago :) Oh and I forgot to mention, I had to reset the airbag diags. with the cable everytime I messed around leaning on the seat and switching on the ignition. Now I know!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts