Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, here is the update on my PH1 V6 GTV rebuild - slow but steady and now within a few weekends of firing up an engine which has not turned in almost 6 years! Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Enjoyed that, thanks. There looks a man at the nadir of his restoration mojo!

Question re the seats, those look like phase two seats, did they get fitted to the phase one V6 or are they replacements?

Look forward to seeing your mojo get a boost when you fire her up for the first time.

·
Registered
923 Posts

Question re the seats, those look like phase two seats, did they get fitted to the phase one V6 or are they replacements?

Look forward to seeing your mojo get a boost when you fire her up for the first time.
Momo Seats like those were actually a phase 1 upgrade and then became standard lusso in phase 2 leather

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for watching! The seats are factory fitted, as is the whole interior, no mods or messing at all as far as I can tell.
The resto has been quite draining and we’ve only really rebuilt the engine and done some minor repairs so far!
Once the engine is running I have new MTech C- hook discs all round, reconditioned calipers, Eibach springs and Koni Str.t shocks to go on. Also a few holes in the floor to sort out & rust proof, then probably a respray next year some time!
Quite some way to go yet! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Following the vids, well impressed with the attention to detail, can't wait to hear it roar into life Chris!
Thanks Steve, I feel like I could strip and rebuild a Busso in my sleep now! It turned out that we could have just changed the belts, oil & filters and started her up but the engine has 115k under its wheels, so I wanted to replace all the gaskets and seals as well as check the valves etc. as the engine was supposed to have been badly damaged, according to a well known Alfa garage who tested it beforehand! (No names but they were obviously “mistaken” :wink:)

Moral of the story: Don’t believe everything you hear, especially if the person telling you wants your cash!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Good to watch, thanks for posting. I liked the slide hammer tool for getting the pulley off ! It would have been good to have seen how you got the crank shaft seal out, though - you skipped from "this is difficult" to "here it is in place".

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to watch, thanks for posting. I liked the slide hammer tool for getting the pulley off ! It would have been good to have seen how you got the crank shaft seal out, though - you skipped from "this is difficult" to "here it is in place".
Sorry about that, I forgot to film that bit! it was good old fashioned brute force & ignorance! We drilled acouple of small holes in it and prised it out. (Its actually metal with a rubber coating!)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Eibach springs and Koni Str.t shocks to go on.
Enjoying the progress on this. the peaks and troughs of rebuilding an old car evident but glad to hear you powering on through.

Be advised that the Orange Konis are NOT a good match for the Red Eibach springs..
The Str.t are a slightly better quality but equally as soft OEM style shock. Conversely Eibachs are pretty hard and those shocks will not be able to tame them. Cue horrible bouncy unsettled ride.

Would suggest a good quality standard springs such as Spidan or Suplex seem popular too.. or use Koni Yellow dampers with red Eibach people seem to like those (I've been spoilt by Bilstein/BC/Intrax/KW on my various cars.. always regretted Konis .. personally found them rusty, short lived and still too soft but maybe I'm weird or unlucky)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be advised that the Orange Konis are NOT a good match for the Red Eibach springs..
Thanks for the heads up on these, I have used Suplex springs on my Spider and they are good but I wanted to lower the GTV slightly, so thats why I went for the Eibachs. I have yellow Konis on my 156 and they are great but v. expensive!
What other shocks would you recommend for the Eibachs? (Or wouldn’t you recommend them at all?)
Are Eibach black springs any more forgiving?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on these, I have used Suplex springs on my Spider and they are good but I wanted to lower the GTV slightly, so thats why I went for the Eibachs. I have yellow Konis on my 156 and they are great but v. expensive!
What other shocks would you recommend for the Eibachs? (Or wouldn’t you recommend them at all?)
Are Eibach black springs any more forgiving?
If it were a TS I'd recomened Bilstein all day long. They unfortunately do not make a front damper for the V6. The B6 Rears are available at £200 for the pair.
Fronts for V6.. We only really have the Koni Yellows as a viable sports option (without going down the adjustable coil-over route and adding expense. )

Your GTV was also built in the same month and year as mine :thumbup:
twin sister cars. So looking forward to seeing this all come together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts