Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Well, I was doing so well. Removed the front shocks from one side. Turret bolts came out without shearing. Spring compressed without tears. It wasn't too dreadful. However the new ones I had ready to fit are the Ph1/2 type with no bolt plate fitted for the PH3 anti roll bar links to attach to.

The TRW website seems to show the incorrect data. And repeated searches of suppliers show the same problem. Any reliable source for a pair? Or the correct TRW part numbers?

Thanks in Advance....I'm pointing at the part that's the issue!

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
It might be worth giving Gary over at Totally Alfa a shout. Ia'm not sure how far he has got but he was developing a bracket to convert ph2 shocks to ph3 to enable the drop link to be fitted.

Failing that a few have converted the front end to accommodate the ph2 roll bar to enable the ph2 shocks and drop links to be used.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Hi All,

Well, I was doing so well. Removed the front shocks from one side. Turret bolts came out without shearing. Spring compressed without tears. It wasn't too dreadful. However the new ones I had ready to fit are the Ph1/2 type with no bolt plate fitted for the PH3 anti roll bar links to attach to.

The TRW website seems to show the incorrect data. And repeated searches of suppliers show the same problem. Any reliable source for a pair? Or the correct TRW part numbers?

Thanks in Advance....I'm pointing at the part that's the issue!
Your post is confusing. You say you have a Phase 3 so presumably a JTS not a TS?

As suggested since you have the earlier shocks already best to just replace the ARB and go with the earlier set-up with appropriate drop links. You may as well replace the springs as well as those ones look very rusty to me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your post is confusing. You say you have a Phase 3 so presumably a JTS not a TS?

As suggested since you have the earlier shocks already best to just replace the ARB and go with the earlier set-up with appropriate drop links. You may as well replace the springs as well as those ones look very rusty to me.
Hi, I get this a lot.
They made 217 2.0 TS spiders in PH3
In Total.
I have one of them.
And yup - got shiny new springs, front wishbones, steering rod ends, bolts and all that....If it's in bits do the lot.

But somewhat fallen at the first hurdle it seems.

thanks

Reactions: Welshsteve

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Are Phase 3 JTS and TS front shocks the same? If so, what about this as it is quite low mileage...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROM...267682?hash=item2cfbc0a622:g:DyAAAOSwotJdyC8Z

If you have the time, space, inclination etc and depending on price... you should get a few quid if you break it after removing the shocks. Decent phase 3 Spider seats have got to be worth a couple of hundred, wheels look ok so the same or more, 51k JTS engine has got to be worth a bit then there’s the hood, front grill, bumper, bonnet etc etc.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Hi, I get this a lot.
They made 217 2.0 TS spiders in PH3
In Total.
I have one of them.
And yup - got shiny new springs, front wishbones, steering rod ends, bolts and all that....If it's in bits do the lot.

But somewhat fallen at the first hurdle it seems.

thanks
So Alfa made a Phase 3 TS but with the JTS suspension. Alfa Romeo just make things overly complicated!

Still think fitting the earlier TS ARB with drop links is the best bet, since you have everything else. The bushes etc on your current ARB may be getting tired anyway. Rust is also a problem on the ARB itself. Good price here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Brand-New-Alfa-Romeo-916-GTV-Spider-Front-Anti-Roll-Bar-60811812/372542253646?epid=18027330559&hash=item56bd3faa4e:g:mbwAAOSwmE9cG6Yv

·
Registered
857 Posts
Phase 3 twin spark.... Wow. Twinnie with the ph3 tweaks...... Must be a great drive. What I did with my ph3 jts was to put adjustable coil overs on front. Everything fitted OK thenalbeit 20mm lower. It doesn't have to be lower though. . Put adjustable drop links on to make sure arb in right position if any height adjustment made. If that helps. Expensive option but much better afterwards. Slightly more negative camber on front though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine have arrived and been fitted! Small post coming soon.....

Reactions: Welshsteve
1 - 9 of 9 Posts