Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 ph2 2.0 and it has the hunting idle issue, need to remove the ICV but that is not the issue here.

On light throttle it is jumping about, jerking etc. If you increase the throttle or come off completly it doesn't do it?!

Anyone got any ideas?

Dan

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I checked the hose and it looked ok, no obvious splits or holes! How do i check the MAF?
unplug it and go for a drive see if the hesitation has gone, just be aware the engine management light will most likely come on and it will struggle to idle with the MAF unplugged, but the hesitation should be gone when accelerating, if that's the case it's time for a replacement MAF, make sure it's a genuine Bosch unit or you risk even more issues than you have already

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Are you sure there are no splits in the bottom of the hose, they are definitely the worst offenders.

As for the MAF, just unplug it and take it for a run. The engine will run slightly rich but if the hesitation has gone thats your problem.

Just remembered, did you check the rubber hoses on the intake runners. Less likely but you never know...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
unplug it and go for a drive see if the hesitation has gone, just be aware the engine management light will most likely come on and it will struggle to idle with the MAF unplugged, but the hesitation should be gone when accelerating, if that's the case it's time for a replacement MAF, make sure it's a genuine Bosch unit or you risk even more issues than you have already
You must have beaten me by seconds there!! :lol:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's only a twin spark, so no intake runners like the v6.

Where is the maf on the twin spark? Is it ontop of the airbox down towards the bottom of the bumper?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Discionnected the maf and yes idle was worse but the jumping about and jerking was more violent than with it plugged in so guesing it is not that then!?

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems to do it cold or hot and doesn't seem to smell rich on idle either - I have a volvo t4 turbo as well and the lambda was dying on that and at idle you could smell it was running rich.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just pulled the engine cover off and pulled out the coil packs. I kid you not you couldn't see the top of the plug there was so much oil in cylinder 3 and 4!! New rocker cover gasket required me thinks, will test drive on way to get the gasket.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts