Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
The passenger window stopped working last week, in the UP position thank god. The Driver's still works. I took the door card off after checking the two white 25amp fuses were fine and swapped the switch from drivers to passenger door with no affect. I used voltage tester (test light)to check if I had power at the switch and nothing. Nothing at the motor either? I pulled the door loom plug off and made sure the connections are OK and corrosion free and they are.

Any thought where to go next?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
1996?

This'll seem completely irrelevant, but can you pop the boot and fuel cap open with the ignition on?

If so, you have a problem related to the supply cut-off relay at the back of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
In the early version of the GTV/Spiders it is only the Driver side window that is controlled by the Control unit.
The passenger side is controlled purely by the switches.
This is at least valid for LHD cars so I assume this also is valid for RHD cars.
I have attached the wiring for a LHD car.

So it could be as PKR mention the cut-off relay (I108) that is broken

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1996?

This'll seem completely irrelevant, but can you pop the boot and fuel cap open with the ignition on?

If so, you have a problem related to the supply cut-off relay at the back of the car.

So it could be as PKR mention the cut-off relay (I108) that is broken

Wow, Yes ignition on and fuel door popped, never seen that work before?

Ok so I am looking at the cluster of relays beside the fuel pump in the boot right? which one is the I108. Should it click when the ignition is switched off/on?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It should have a BLUE base.

This is a changeover type relay. With ignition off, supply is fed for the fuel cap & boot releases and with the ignition on, it's fed to the passenger window. The terminals will be marked 85 & 86 for the coil, 30 for the +12v supply and 87 ( window ) and 87a for the other boot/fuel cap.

Using your test lamp : With the relay removed from the Blue holder, identify the hole corresponding to '30'. It should have 12v on it. One of the holes marked to 85 or 86 will be connected to earth and whichever isn't connected to earth ( 85 or 86 ) should have +12v when the ignition is on. So your test lamp will be off on both 85 & 86 with the ignition OFF, and one terminal will cause your test lamp to light with the ignition ON.

87a will have +12v with the ignition off ( you'll need to check this with the relay back in the holder and probing the holder terminals from underneath ). We already know it has as you can pop the fuel cap.

87 should get +12v when you switch the ignition on. If you don't get +12 here with the ignition ON, you probably have a faulty relay.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1996?

It should have a BLUE base.

This is a changeover type relay. With ignition off, supply is fed for the fuel cap & boot releases and with the ignition on, it's fed to the passenger window. The terminals will be marked 85 & 86 for the coil, 30 for the +12v supply and 87 ( window ) and 87a for the other boot/fuel cap.

Using your test lamp : With the relay removed from the Blue holder, identify the hole corresponding to '30'. It should have 12v on it. One of the holes marked to 85 or 86 will be connected to earth and whichever isn't connected to earth ( 85 or 86 ) should have +12v when the ignition is on. So your test lamp will be off on both 85 & 86 with the ignition OFF, and one terminal will cause your test lamp to light with the ignition ON.

87a will have +12v with the ignition off ( you'll need to check this with the relay back in the holder and probing the holder terminals from underneath ). We already know it has as you can pop the fuel cap.

87 should get +12v when you switch the ignition on. If you don't get +12 here with the ignition ON, you probably have a faulty relay.
Yep it looks like the relay alright. Thanks for your help lads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts