Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a Phase 1 2.0TS GTV Coupe P reg barn find delivered I bought on ebay. After cleaning out the cobwebs, dead mice, leaves etc from the engine bay and sticking a new battery on it - yes you guessed correctly it won't start!!!! :cry:

The key code light goes out as it should and so does the Engine Management light. However the alternator light does not come on at all and neither does the oil pressure light but that wouldn't effect the engine starting. There is a 1/4 tank of fuel in it which no doubt is old and possibly contaminated but I can't hear the fuel relay or gurgling from the tank which I always have heard on previous GTVs I've owned in the past when turning the ignition on. I've cleaned the relays located against the bulkhead in the engine bay and there are some in the boot under the n/s/r speaker but looking in the owners handbook I can't see what they are for - any ideas? :ponder:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Have you checked the inertial switch in the driver's footwell?

The relays in the boot are ( colour in brackets are the relay base colour )

Boot ( Green )
Fuel cap ( white )
supply cut off relay ( blue )
fuel pump ( black )

The supply cut off relay just ensures things like the boot and fuel cap can't released when the engine is running.

The interesting one there is the fuel pump relay ( black base ).

If you have a multimeter, check for +12v on the thick red wire connected to the fuel pump relay. Assuming it has +12v, you can _briefly_ check the pump by bridging the thick red wire with the thick pink/white wire. The pump should come to life.

Have you still got the other Spiders?

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Once you get power, a good idea would be to change the oil/filter before you start the engine. Also take off rocker cover and pour some oil over the cam lobes etc. Any opportunity given and it's always goodbye to this engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked the inertial switch in the driver's footwell?

The relays in the boot are ( colour in brackets are the relay base colour )

Boot ( Green )
Fuel cap ( white )
supply cut off relay ( blue )
fuel pump ( black )

The supply cut off relay just ensures things like the boot and fuel cap can't released when the engine is running.

The interesting one there is the fuel pump relay ( black base ).

If you have a multimeter, check for +12v on the thick red wire connected to the fuel pump relay. Assuming it has +12v, you can _briefly_ check the pump by bridging the thick red wire with the thick pink/white wire. The pump should come to life.

Have you still got the other Spiders?

Hi Peter, I was going to pop over tomorrow if you were in. Yes I still have the 2 Spiders but the 2.0TS big ends have gone and it sounds like a tractor. I got the barn find to hopefully take the engine out for a life saving transplant. I will check out the relays like you said. Where the hell is the fuel pump though???

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you get power, a good idea would be to change the oil/filter before you start the engine. Also take off rocker cover and pour some oil over the cam lobes etc. Any opportunity given and it's always goodbye to this engine.

Yes I was going to do exactly that - it's been sitting for at least 5 years...…….

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Hi Peter, I was going to pop over tomorrow if you were in. Yes I still have the 2 Spiders but the 2.0TS big ends have gone and it sounds like a tractor. I got the barn find to hopefully take the engine out for a life saving transplant. I will check out the relays like you said. Where the hell is the fuel pump though???
I'm out tomorrow unfortunately. Meeting someone near Rugby.

The fuel pump is in the tank. You remove the rear seats ( 2 nuts in footwell, remove seat, two bolts at base of back, remove back. Remove fir trees holding in soundproofing and remove soundproofing carefully ( very fragile ). Pump is under the metal plate at the centre, not far from the battery.

It may be better if I came over there sometime to have a look at it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm out tomorrow unfortunately. Meeting someone near Rugby.

The fuel pump is in the tank. You remove the rear seats ( 2 nuts in footwell, remove seat, two bolts at base of back, remove back. Remove fir trees holding in soundproofing and remove soundproofing carefully ( very fragile ). Pump is under the metal plate at the centre, not far from the battery.

It may be better if I came over there sometime to have a look at it.
Yes that would be great thanks - there are only 3 relays in the boot (green, white and blue bases). I think the fuel pump relay is in the engine bay by the bulkhead? There are also 3 huge fuses by the relays in the boot - 2 x 40 amp and 1 x 60 amp...……..

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I think the fuel pump relay is in the engine bay by the bulkhead? There are also 3 huge fuses by the relays in the boot - 2 x 40 amp and 1 x 60 amp...……..
That would indicate the car has the M2.10.3 engine ECU. So early 1996 before it changed to the M2.10.4. IIRC that means the car has the EGR stuff.

The fuses in the boot are Services, ABS ( 60A ) and the main injection system fuse. If you haven't already done so, check the 40A injection fuse as that supplies the fuel pump.

The other thing I'd suggest. At the base of the 'A' pillar on the driver's side behind the dashboard, there should be a 14 way black connector. Just check that that looks OK. You should be able to see the Pink/Yellow wire going to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would indicate the car has the M2.10.3 engine ECU. So early 1996 before it changed to the M2.10.4. IIRC that means the car has the EGR stuff.

The fuses in the boot are Services, ABS ( 60A ) and the main injection system fuse. If you haven't already done so, check the 40A injection fuse as that supplies the fuel pump.

The other thing I'd suggest. At the base of the 'A' pillar on the driver's side behind the dashboard, there should be a 14 way black connector. Just check that that looks OK. You should be able to see the Pink/Yellow wire going to the fuel pump.
Yes when I took the rear seats out to get to the fuel pump it had May 1996 stamped on them. The fuses all appear to be good but the fuel pump is only getting 2.6 volts according to my multimeter! Will check out the plug connector next...…………..thanks for the advice

·
Registered
67 Posts
<..>I can't hear the fuel relay or gurgling from the tank which I always have heard on previous GTVs I've owned<..>
Be it as it may, my previous GTV was making this exact sound like you're describing yet my current one (both TS) is virtually silent with ignition on and if anything it runs better. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts