Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator is fried, which I knew on purchase. Got it out easily enough, from the top.
Does anyone know the difference between the various alternators fitted to these models? I expect that mechanically most alternators from a 2.0 TS would fit with possible differences in the output.
Have found a new one (second hand) but from a later model. Looks the same but not finding it easy to cross reference the fitment...

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
My alternator is fried, which I knew on purchase. Got it out easily enough, from the top.
Does anyone know the difference between the various alternators fitted to these models? I expect that mechanically most alternators from a 2.0 TS would fit with possible differences in the output.
Have found a new one (second hand) but from a later model. Looks the same but not finding it easy to cross reference the fitment...
P1 models have a seven rib belt, the later models have a six rib belt. So if you buy an alternator from a later car it may well have the wrong pulley on the alternator. You could swap these round though.

How did you find taking out from the top? Did you remove the inlet manifold and if so was this easy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P1 models have a seven rib belt, the later models have a six rib belt. So if you buy an alternator from a later car it may well have the wrong pulley on the alternator. You could swap these round though.

How did you find taking out from the top? Did you remove the inlet manifold and if so was this easy?
Thanks. I have continued looking and also found reference to a 6 groove pulley on later models.
Still looking in to this now but getting there.
From the top is easy enough. Second time would be dead easy, but hopefully not required!
It's nicer not scrabbling around under the car though you do still have to undo the 2 15mm bolts on the manifold support.
I undid the top engine stabiliser and loosened the front lower mount, then wedged with a piece of wood at the stabiliser mounting point to tilt the engine forward and there was adequate room to remove the manifold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts