Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I thought I would share my thoughts on a little runabout I have been given to drive for a couple of weeks while my company car is being repaired.

I could tell you it is a cracking piece of automotive design.
I could say it's engine sings it's way to the redline.
I could say that the interior is the comfiest I have ever encountered in a small car.

If I said any of these things then I would be a liar.

The engine is so limp that I am scared to venture into lane 3 of the motorway thereby making any journey 1/3rd longer. It also has so far declined to hit the redline before I have lost interest and fallen asleep.
The design is one that says, make it high to give you space to have a huge range of seat movement, but there is too much sideglass rendering it slab like.
The interior has some nice quality plastic in places you don't really need it, and hard stuff in places where I like to see and feel it. In particular the edge of the door and around the heating controls is cheap looking and hard. It has an oil temp gauge and a water temp gauge.

The fine handling that French cars are always praised for might be there, but I can't be arsed to find the limits as I am scared I fall off the drivers seat. The driving position reminds me of when I had a 33, only worse. I am sitting with the seat at it's lowest, right back with the wheel at it's closest position to me. My arms are fully stretched and my knees are bent to stop the wheel hitting them as I drive.
The pedal positions mean I am scared to do an emergancy stop as by the time I have managed to get my left foot unstuck from below the clutch pedal, the fact that my size10 (not massive) feet cover both accelerator and brake mean I'll still be heading towards whatever I am trying to avoid.

The switchgear, especially the windscreen stalk is confusing, no logic to the turns, pushes that you need to get a squirt onto the windscreen.

In short a hideous car, IMHO, and one that the rental company will be swapping asap before I end up in a hedge or something.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
I feel for your pain :cry::(

·
Registered
864 Posts
I quite liked the look of the old 206SW; quite an interesting little niche market the compact estate car.

But the new one is a total monster. Compact it ain't. And hideously ugly too.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I watched an old review of the 207 the other day top Gear on Dave apparently the 207 is some 300lbs heavier than the 206, my 206 is by no mean a speed demon lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts