Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
I had a standard 205 when I was 17 - 170k miles and never let me down! My girlfriends Uncle used to rally them as an amateur - pocket rockets!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had a 205 XS banger a few years ago. I remember Car magazine's Good, Bad, Ugly section summarised it as "almost a GTi".

I loved that car. It was as tactile to drive as my Alfasuds but a damn sight more comfortable with the driving position being perfect and the pedals set the standard for toe-and-heeling. Without power steering the 165 width tyres were just right; I wouldn't like to try the 185s fitted to the GTi - that must be pain.

The ride quality had to be experienced to be believed. There was a chamfered stepped join on the dual carriageway near me. My 166 would crash over it in a worryingly expensive sounding thump but the 205 could take it at higher speeds and it simply floated, you didn't even know it was there.

I miss that car. I might look out for another :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
they were a scream to drive. I had owned a Nova SR and an Uno Turbo before my first drive in a 205; the scalpel sharp crispness of the 205 experience - from throttle, to steering and handling precision - was the difference between waking up with a fuggy, soggy, hangover, to waking up totally sober, peppy, and brim-full of vitamin B.

205 GTI = sharp!!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Citroen ZX Volcane 1.9i: The stealth version.

Same engine, not so nice 5-door body, but still good fun.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
The SOTW one is now sold. That makes a change given some of them languish for months after still unsold and getting ever cheaper.

They did a 3 door ZX Volcane TD? The only 3 door ZX was the 16V?

As I regularly use single track lanes with passing places there's some appeal in having something that small and easy to manoeuvre.

·
Registered
37,773 Posts
I always liked the 205 1.9 GTi, they were from an era when cars were not laden with heavy safety features and politically correct emission control bits.

I always though the 309 GTi was ugly though.

One of my mates owned a Citroen BX 1.9 16v, and although it looked rather like a Lada it went like stink.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive owned three 1.9's in the past, apart from my GT they were the best cars i ever owned even though the lift off oversteer caught me out twice!! Brilliant fun :))

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a white 1.6...loved it. Rusted away in the end but still got £500 for it :lol:

Wanted to buy a Renault 5 Turbo after it but there were non left as they had all rusted away or been wrapped around trees no doubt so strangely went for a 306 D turbo. No idea why I went for a diesel? Didn't keep it long

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Always fancied one but the way i drove i would have died in it, i wouldnt want to be in a crash in one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Always fancied one but the way i drove i would have died in it, i wouldnt want to be in a crash in one.
I know what your saying, i was inches from a massive tree once, scared the bejesus out of me that did, grown up since then thankfully and realised im not immortal!!:eek:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My greatest motoring regret was selling my 'near' mint, and original 1.6 GTI in white.

I needed the space as my GTV 3.0 was on the drive at the time. I let it go for £675.......what a bloody idiot:cry:

I WANT another!!!

The best steering communication you'll find in any 'main stream' car ever!

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Was your GTi PAS or non-PAS? A friend bought a late 115hp 1.6 but ordered it with PAS as it was their only car and his wife needed PAS.

I think I was perusing Fiat Coupe adverts lastnight and one mentioned wanting to swap for a 205GTi.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was your GTi PAS or non-PAS? A friend bought a late 115hp 1.6 but ordered it with PAS as it was their only car and his wife needed PAS.

I think I was perusing Fiat Coupe adverts lastnight and one mentioned wanting to swap for a 205GTi.
Non power assisted.....the way 'it should be when driving quickly':thumbs:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
The only MX-5 I've driven was non-PAS. Id' agree. Plus it's another thing to go wrong. My Uno Turbo was a bit heavy parking but once moving it wasn't a problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts