Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short road test.

Let me say at the start that I like small cars. I like the whole thrash the nads off’em and throw em about thing. I don’t mind the lack of space or creature comforts either (it’s not that long ago that I was using an old Mini as my daily driver).

Today’s victim of a Keithyboy roadtest is the Peugeot 107. The car is in the deeply unpleasant poverty pool car spec which comes with scratchy plastic, hard unsupportive seats, wheel trims and a single instrument giving scant information. The interior makes the interior of the Punto we also have feel like a Rolls Royce.

It wasn’t going brilliantly at all, then I started the engine, which makes the most indescribably awful noise. Myself and my colleague couldn’t decide whether it was a 3-pot, a diesel or both. Subsequent googling suggests it’s either a 3-pot petrol, or a 4-pot diesel. It sounded surprisingly similar to my old Mini when it lost compression on one cylinder, with maybe a touch of big end noise thrown in, with a biscuit tin full of nuts and bolts balanced on top, so I’m guessing 3-pot. The brakes are wooden, the clutch kind of springy and crap feeling, the steering is completely void of feel, and all the controls feel like they are going to come off in your hand.

If you’re in the market for a small, rubbish car that makes a crap noise and looks like something Noddy rejected, I’m sure it would be perfect for you. However, if you want just a touch more comfort and style, I’d suggest a 1980s Skoda Estelle. Or getting the bus.

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the Citroen C1 ? :confused:
Not tried it. Hard to imagine that it's worse (unless it comes with a Frenchman who sits in the back seat throwing garlic at you).

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The C1, 107 and Aygo are IDENTICAL in their running gear, chassis and interior trim. The Aygo never got the HDI 1.4 engine from PSA group though. The 1.0 3 cylinder petrol unit is all Toyota's making. The best of the 3 is the C1 as it's the cheapest out of 3 identical cars.

The new model is a great improvement in every area....

....it must be remembered that the original car is now 9 years old and 'nothing' was updated in that time regards engines, running gear etc, so take yourself back 9 years at it ain't all that bad really :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The C1, 107 and Aygo are IDENTICAL in their running gear, chassis and interior trim. The Aygo never got the HDI 1.4 engine from PSA group though. The 1.0 3 cylinder petrol unit is all Toyota's making. The best of the 3 is the C1 as it's the cheapest out of 3 identical cars.

The new model is a great improvement in every area....

....it must be remembered that the original car is now 9 years old and 'nothing' was updated in that time regards engines, running gear etc, so take yourself back 9 years at it ain't all that bad really :thumbs:
No it is mate. It's shocking. The driving experience is not far removed from my mum's old Corsa. I can't believe Toyota came up with that rough-arsed bag of **** engine.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
No it is mate. It's shocking. The driving experience is not far removed from my mum's old Corsa. I can't believe Toyota came up with that rough-arsed bag of **** engine.
I guess I've just got used to them after selling the C1 for 9 years...:lol:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I thought you were going to love it.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Where's it made again?

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
It might be crap but people rush out to pay over the odds for cars like this, because they are cheap to run. Or at least give the impression that they are cheap to run.

I would rather have a moped.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
When it rains, I bet you wouldn't.

These are old cars now, but even when they were new, a FIAT Panda was a better buy - same size, but seats four regular-sized adults and can carry more stuff, and just as well built.

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But I've driven much older small cars which were great. The original Ford Ka was a cheap, cheerful little thing, the bubble shaped Micra had a 1.0 engine that revved like a *******, Peugeot 106 was a tiny responsive chuckable little thing, they are much older designs.

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When it rains, I bet you wouldn't.

These are old cars now, but even when they were new, a FIAT Panda was a better buy - same size, but seats four regular-sized adults and can carry more stuff, and just as well built.
At some point I will own a Panda 100hp.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My Ex sister-in-law had the 106, that set on fire like Ferrari on the M60. A right POS it was.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts