Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just been on the news as I was driving in, they shut down the refinery in the south last night, apparently it's going to affect one sixth of the petrol supply to the UK mainly in the south and London.

info further down in the thread.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I've been to that refinery and they had close to 200 fiat pandas to drive around the plant. I didn't think the place was very safe as it was just full of intoxicating fumes, but was assured that's normal. :lol:

I hope it's not closing down though, fuel prices will rocket :(

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Can't remember the last time I saw a ESSO petrol station, we certainly haven't got any where I live down here in Swansea..........:eek:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was on the Radio 4 Today programme if you want to listen again to get the facts. something about the banks foreclosed on the "trillions" of debt.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm not good. another excuse for other suppliers to crank their prices up a couple of notches
You're not wrong, but also with no petrol being sent to forecourts this morning or having to be redirected from other refineries there may well be shortages in the south.

Not good for business, the government should have been engaged with this at an earlier stage to try to stop it happening, I wonder how much it will cost our economy if there are severe shortages.

:(

K

·
0 Posts
I'll be fine too as my car hasn't moved since August and the battery is flat. There's a couple of gallons in the tank for which I'm open to offers.

·
Registered
37,778 Posts
It is all a consipracy to keep us paying high prices and taxes.

Watch the price of electrickery rocket when we all switch to that.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they need to get all these unemployed in hamster cages producing clean energy, all you need to do is feed em and give em bog breaks, it'll also probably do wonders for the NHS obesity healthcare costs...

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
And putting the pressure on Iran too.

The case for getting uppity over Iran's nukes isn't helped by the fabricated justifcation for the illegal invasion of Iraq.

Someone asked if I wanted their non Alfa pride and joy V6 last week. The last time I drove that car it did 80 miles mainly on M-ways and A roads on £27 of unleaded and I was taking it easy and using 6th.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
It's Corytown. I've been there. :)

No Pandas when I went there. Site rule was that all vehicles had to be left with the keys in the ignition so they could be moved if needed. There was a new black Range Rover where a jetty met the land with the keys in it.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
It'll get bought minus the debt. Petroplus are one of our customers. I'm trying to get the compressor rotors out of there now so the new owner has to buy a refurb from us.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
From what I hear the refinery is in dire need of major upgrade / maintenance.

This happened at the other Petroplus refinery on Teesside, just along the road from where I work. They first mothballed it trying to find a buyer. They never did and until today has been used as a shipping / storage facility only.

As for any shortages, this has been on the cards since mid December, when they started struggling to get credit to buy crude oil. Im sure someone has had their eye on making a bit by importing extra...

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
hmmmm not good. another excuse for other suppliers to crank their prices up a couple of notches
A representative of the Petrol Retailers was on the 6 o'clock news. He said that he expected diesel prices to reach record levels within days thanks to this & a tanker driver strike in Lincolnshire.

Translation - This is a good excuse to up the prices as high as possible & make even more profit at drivers expense.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts