Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow alfisti. This will be my first post.

I have never owned a diesel car, but after a long trip in a friend's Focus TD with 90 HP I am seriously considering a turbo diesel car.

The alfa 146 2.0 TD seems like a good choice. The engine is derived from the fiat 1.7 diesel, it has indirect injection and less electronics (read less problems) as compared to the new JTD or common rail engines.

I am currently driving an Alfa 146ti 2.0 16v 150 HP. It's a fun car but the engine lacks real torque below 4000 rpm and you hardly ever shift beyond this with normal driving, so the car doesn't feel too sporty unless you step on it $$$.

I never drive at high speed so never actually take advantage of her 150 HP. I rather prefer a car that is relatively quick accelerating with good road handling (like alfas :inlove: ) instead of sheer top speed.

I've been told the 146 2.0 TD is a very fast car despite the 90 HP rating. It has the same torque as the 2.0 liter petrol engine but down at 2400 rpm which should make it more fun to drive in normal day use and going uphill with the a/c on and not having to downshift.

What are your opinions with regards to driving sensations of this car equiped with the TD engine as compared to the gasoline/petrol version?

Note: I know I won't win any street drags with the diesel car.

Thanks,

Warrior :D Glad I chose Alfa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
I didn't realise there was a 146 diesel, unless you count petrol TwinSparks with faulty cam variators! If the diesel engined models were available in New Zealand, obviously nobody bought them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,786 Posts
Didn't find the figures for the 145/6, but the 155 with the same engine has these:

Max. output 90.2 PS (89.0 bhp) (66.4 kW) @4200 rpm
Max. torque 186.0 Nm (137 lbft) (19 kgm) @2500 rpm

0-100km/h 13.50s
Top speed 180 km/h (112 mph)

Fuel Consumption 5.1/7.0/7.1 l/100km 90 km/h / 120 km/h / urban

The 146 ti does 0-100 in just over 8 seconds, btw. So the diesel can hardly be called a fast car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,564 Posts
Blimey this thread is going to cause some 'heated' debate eh ?? :p :rolleyes:
Each have their own virtues dude but I have to say I love the low down 'pulling power' of a TDi JTD JTDm !!
We currently have a 1.6 16V Escort knocking around the household and it got no go at low revs !!
Spookily enough Debs made comment on this very subject last night as she'd driven the Escort to get it serviced and MOT'd and said she 'hated it' as it was so hard to drive i.e after 2 months she's become reliant on the massive wave of torque that the Leon produces from about 2000rpm !! :)
Her remapped Cupra TDi will leave a Cupra R for dead from 50 - 70 (or 80 or 90 or 100 :D ) in sixth gear due to the increased amount of torque that it produces. I used to love to watch 'boyracertailgaters' faces on the motorways when the traffic cleared and I floored the 'loud pedal' :D
But like I say it's horses for courses eh ?? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I never thought it would happen to me but I've been totally converted to diesel cars. I changed jobs last year, ending up with a long commute, so swapped a 2.5 litre BMW coupe for a 1.8 TDCi Ford Focus to save money.

The petrol engine came into it's own on the few occassions I had to really run through the revs, but for everyday driving the 1.8 diesel actually feels more responsive and fun given the immediate surge of torque.

That's why my first Alfa is going to be a 2.4 JTDm, which I'll hopefully be picking up next week. I'm hoping it will be just the thing wring some rare pleasure from everyday motorway driving!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,259 Posts
I have driven lots of Diesel cars and I would not swap my high revving, and quiet TS for any of them. They may have loads of torque but I think this is deceptive as it only happens over a small rev band, and you still need lots of gear changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
symonh2000 said:
I have driven lots of Diesel cars and I would not swap my high revving, and quiet TS for any of them. They may have loads of torque but I think this is deceptive as it only happens over a small rev band, and you still need lots of gear changes.
Not with a 2.4 JTDm or remapped 10v you dont matee !

Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,564 Posts
morty1961 said:
Not with a 2.4 JTDm or remapped 10v you dont mate !
Agreed..the increased torque in the Leon - post remap - actually meant less gear changes !! ;)
I'm hoping for the same in the Brera once she's remapped !! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
loki said:
I never thought it would happen to me but I've been totally converted to diesel cars. I changed jobs last year, ending up with a long commute, so swapped a 2.5 litre BMW coupe for a 1.8 TDCi Ford Focus to save money.

The petrol engine came into it's own on the few occassions I had to really run through the revs, but for everyday driving the 1.8 diesel actually feels more responsive and fun given the immediate surge of torque.

That's why my first Alfa is going to be a 2.4 JTDm, which I'll hopefully be picking up next week. I'm hoping it will be just the thing wring some rare pleasure from everyday motorway driving!
I find this kind of attitude common from people who have bothered to drive a modern common rail diesel, they really are a revelation.

If you enjoy driving the Ford TDCi you're really in for a treat when you try the Alfa 2.4, it's leagues better! A fantastic engine in every way with astonishing economy.

I wish you both all the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,564 Posts
symonh2000 said:
I have driven lots of Diesel cars and I would not swap my high revving, and quiet TS for any of them.
Like I said dude... horses for courses !! ;)
nomad said:
But like I say it's horses for courses eh ?? :)
See... told you I said that !! :p :D

:lol:
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
sayitpunk said:
I find this kind of attitude common from people who have bothered to drive a modern common rail diesel, they really are a revelation.

If you enjoy driving the Ford TDCi you're really in for a treat when you try the Alfa 2.4, it's leagues better! A fantastic engine in every way with astonishing economy.

I wish you both all the best.

True, but beleive it or not the 1.8 TDCI ((only), not the 1.6 & 2.0) is actually far far smoother than the 2.4.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
symonh2000 said:
and you still need lots of gear changes.
Well, many petrol fans think this by making the assumption that you only have 4-4.5k revs to play with. What many people do not realise is the gearing is considerably longer which results in LESS changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
The only disadvantage I can see to having is a diesel is the daka-dak-daka engine noise...

But really thats only when you are outside the car. Inside you wouldn't really know you were in a Diesel.

Compared to my old 146ti I am not spending 1 million dollars on fuel every week and the engine characteristics are actually much more fun.

Big whooses of torque which tug you up hills, really rapid mid range overtaking and lazy cruising on the motorways.

Great! I don't think ill ever go back to petrol unless it is a bonkers performance car.

D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I'd had petrols all my driving life until I fancied changing my 156 for a GT and as I do a long commute thought a turbo diesel would be more economical (as a friend had a Golf TDI) and I was right and the low down torgue helps! All I need now is to save up and get it remapped.
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
It's embarrishing enough on cold mornings
with the amount of water vapour coming out
the back.

It would cause too much shame to cruise around
the Croisette sounding like a tractor with smoke
belching out the back in the summer.....

If OilBurners are so clean and quiet, why's there no
Diesel Spider? :confused:

:)

[Backs away nervously from the thread]
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Nev said:
If OilBurners are so clean and quiet, why's there no
Diesel Spider? :confused:

:)

[Backs away nervously from the thread]

Because the Spider already has an engine which sounds like a washing machine filled with tin cans.....namely the 2.2 JTS;) :D :cheese:

[Moves closely forward to the thread]
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
alfa_147_jtd_16v said:
Because the Spider already has an engine which sounds like a washing machine filled with tin cans.....namely the 2.2 JTS;) :D :cheese:

[Moves closely forward to the thread]

:lol:

:(

:tut:



Ahh we'll as just have to agree to disagree!

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,280 Posts
I drove my brother-in-law's Saab 93 1.9 TiD 150bhp to Kent and back last week, first time I've ever had a lengthy drive in a new generation diesel. I have to say I was very impressed, things in diesel-land have come a long, long way since the 100bhp Laguna dti I had 7 years ago. The surge of torque in any gear was superb which was great for a lazy 6th gear cruise down the motorway, but on urban roads I wasn't a fan of twiddling my thumbs waiting for the turbo to wake up. Those were my first impressions anyway, but to be honest I got a bit bored with it by the time we got back the next day; it was a bit of a one trick pony. Nothing nothing nothing nothing WHOOSH! change gear. That whoosh was very impressive for a while but it does nothing else, it just wasn't any fun or entertainment. It was quieter than I thought though - quite refined for an agricultural machine but what noise it did make did nothing for me

Just not my cup of tea I'm afraid, although I would consider one if my life involved schlepping up and down motorways all day or if I woke one morning with a sudden urge to start driving like my 71 year-old dad.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top