Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are peoples experiences with petrol vs diesel 156's?

I've done some quick sums based on my average mileage in my current car.

5000m per year, assuming an average of 45mpg with diesel and a price of £1.41 per litre. That works out at 500 litres and a cost of £701

5000m per year assuming an average of 32mpg with petrol and a price of £1.31 per litre. That works out at 703lt and a cost of £921

Do those figures sound about right to people? Most of my current journeys are no more than 25 miles, mainly due to the cost of fuel and the low mpgs I get with my current car (22-25mpg). If I can double the average mpg, I can do more mileage and that means longer trips at higher mpgs which should raise the average and improve th4e cost effectiveness.

I don't need to worry about road tax, as the car will be registered for a disabled person.

The reason I am asking is because the gap between petrol and diesel seems to be widening further. I don't want to go and buy a car that all of a sudden is no more cost efficient to drive than a petrol one... and I'm wondering if the 1.8lt petrol (seems to give the best mpgs in the petrol range) would be the more economical car in the long run.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
You can't argue with the maths, but the mileage and sort of driving you do, would suggest to me that a diesel wouldn't be worth it, or would be negligible at best. If I were in your position, I'd go for the one I preferred driving.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Depends on the mileage you do, if you did alot of long journey's you could increase you estimated 45mpg, to approx 53mpg. Then diesel becomes even more cost effective.

Dom

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I have a Korn Shell script that I wrote to help me decide whether to buy a diesel or petrol car. Runs on Linux/UNIX (IT for a living though not programming :lol:).

Anyhow assuming I knew what I was doing it suggests with your figures £0.14/mile for the diesel and £0.18/mile for the petrol. Not a lot in it.

Locally I am not seeing a difference of £0.10/litre though. More like seven or eight pence.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I remember when diesel was cheaper than unleaded. Funny how everything changed when everyone started buying diesel cars :rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
there was something in a car mag latley sorry cant remember which one but a study revealed that with the price of petrol to diesel , if you do at least 18k a year you are better off in a diesel any less than that you would be better of in a petrol basic style car. but then i guess its how you drive , what type of roads you are on and the size of engine..

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
there was something in a car mag latley sorry cant remember which one but a study revealed that with the price of petrol to diesel , if you do at least 18k a year you are better off in a diesel any less than that you would be better of in a petrol basic style car. but then i guess its how you drive , what type of roads you are on and the size of engine..
Yep, there is no way on earth me buying my Alfa GT after a Rover 25 was going to save me money. Thing is I wanted another car so the cost buying the car as ever is ignored by me. Even so the savings won't be that great, however let me see a Rover 25 1.6 (petrol) and a GT diesel, OK petrol usually is better but not in this case, especially with that gorgeous GT body :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I might be being thick, but I don't understand this. The OP's rough figures show a £220 a year saving on diesel costs over a petrol at 5k miles a year. So why would he be better off economy-wise with petrol?
Is it the servicing costs typically being higher? If so I'm not convinced that they're that much higher...

·
Registered
822 Posts
I had a Ligier Ambra for a year that had even less power and was good for about 60 mph. It was great fun around town and surprisingly nippy as it weighed nothing. Not so good on long runs (economy was only 45 mpg if flat out) and not difficult to get it on 2 wheels around roundabouts :)

Keith

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds liek good fun to me!! :p

But with 30bhp, and a kerbside weight of an egg box, I reckon the power to weight ratio maybe around 1000hp/ton. hahaha:cheese:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Seriously 30bhp lol and is that running on like 6 inch wheels lmao, a sharp gust of side wind on the M6 and it would be cartwheeling down the feilds hahahahahahahahaha :lol::lol:

You could have a sport button on the dash, which deploys a telescopic mast and hoists a sail, to harness wind power the government could then pay you for using the roads!!

M

·
0 Posts
Depends on engine. I have a 156 1.8ts which has 2.0 gearbox which improves mway mpg quite nicely but only rarely do I get near 400miles out a tank. I also have a 2.4mjet which I get 600 out a tank a lot easier than near 400 off the TS.

Cost to fill mjet is what 6% higher. miles out of tank is 50% higher. Obv has something to do with driving style as I don't need to spank the arse off the mjet to get good quick driving in the road.

Plus around town and shortish trips I can still get over 40mpg out of the mjet. nowhere near that from TS. Ok so maybe have to figure maintenance into it but with 36k belt changes on TS it's not gonna be that much diffrent.

Not sure about newer JTS engines but as far as I can see maintenance on them is similar to diesel so jut comes down to economy and if you need to drive one a little harder than the other for same level of fun

John

·
Registered
27 Posts
re:petrol costs, i dunno about your maths i just go off what i've put in the tank on a weekly basis and as petrol was a considertaion due to travel for work (56mile round trip 4 days a week) i can say this about petrol,
in my 2000, 1.8 156 it would cost me around 45-50quid a week for my work trips,
no in my 2004, 1.6 156 35-40 quid a week for 224 miles

same driving style and happy to be saving on average a tenner a week without losing a huge amount of notable power and top end speed, i could possibly reduce further but the a66, a19 and the 169 do offer some opportunity of playing in my alfa and if i didnt where would the fun be in that,
alfa petrol as never really made me sit up and go crazy and the amount i think there fairly good and i have drove some distances in both the alfas i have had, festies on the isle of wight from north east 100quid there and back with some left over for example..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I can get an average of 45mpg from my next car, then I can afford to greatly increase my use. At the moment I have to strictly limit my use because of the fuel costs.

At the moment assuming I do the full 5000 miles this year, and get 23mpg... that's something like £1280 in petrol... around £580 more than I would average in a diesel on the same mileage.

Or put it this way... that's an extra 4100 miles I could do each year for the same cost in fuel.

I think I'm convincing myself here... maybe I just needed to work out the math and talk myself through it. :)

Of course... if fuel prices go up and the gap between petrol and diesel widens further (it's approx 10p here) then the difference becomes less.

But even getting 35mpg around town in a jtd would be 50% better than getting 22mpg in my current car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re:petrol costs, i dunno about your maths i just go off what i've put in the tank on a weekly basis and as petrol was a considertaion due to travel for work (56mile round trip 4 days a week) i can say this about petrol,
in my 2000, 1.8 156 it would cost me around 45-50quid a week for my work trips,
no in my 2004, 1.6 156 35-40 quid a week for 224 miles
I do see your point, but for me it's coming from a 2.5lt 200bhp MX6 to a 2.4 or 1.9 JTD 156 wagon. So the difference in cost savings are huge.

I worked on a contract its a 43 mile round trip, 2 gallons a day 5 days a week, that's around £55 a week. In a diesel 156 I should be doing it in approx £30. Saving £25 a week on fuel that could be better spent on beer, toys for me and the car and getting lucky. :)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I might be being thick, but I don't understand this. The OP's rough figures show a £220 a year saving on diesel costs over a petrol at 5k miles a year. So why would he be better off economy-wise with petrol?
Is it the servicing costs typically being higher? If so I'm not convinced that they're that much higher...
I assume it included the initial cost of the car. Even second hand there is a higher premium for the diesel car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe I wasn't clear in the beginning... the two figures I posted were based on the averages for the petrol and diesel 156 wagon, and not on my current car.

I'm trying to determine if it would more cost effective to own one over the other.

In a later post further down the thread, I mention that doing the same 5k a year in my current car costs me around £1280.

So owning either petrol or diesel will save me money on fuel and won't make a difference to my insurance costs (in fact might even be cheaper) as I'm going from a group 17 car to a group 14 or lower. My current insurance would only be £20 more for the year going from a 2.5lt V6 200bhp coupe to a 2.4 20v JTD wagon.

The difference is in saving around £350 a year or £580.

Sorry if that wasn't clear in the beginning.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts