Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been sent an email with some info on how to save some money at the pumps. Dunno how valid or worthwhile it is but here it goes:

PETROL TIPS - info!!

With Petrol expected to reach £2 per litre by end of 2011 these tips that I received from a friend might come in handy.

TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol.... I am paying up to £1.35 to £1.50 per litre.
My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre:

Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work , we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period ..
One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.
Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground.
The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands,
so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business.
But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode
If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high.
You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping.
All hoses at the pump have a vapour return.
If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour.
Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL.
The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof.
This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

·
Registered
13,590 Posts
I guess some of that is a bit anal but then so is the price of petrol, a bit.
I just checked my receipt yesterday from filling up at the weekend at Morrisons. It was only £1.309 :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
My anal comment.How does one know if the fuel you use carrying the weight of a full tank is more or less than that with a nearly empty one with lots of vapour coming off due to the fuel sloshing around?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough I've always been under the impression it was better not to fill the tank anyway to reduce the weight of fuel.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Just walking to the shop at the end of the road once instead of driving will probably save more fuel than using these 'tips' for a lifetime.:lol:

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
I still think the coldest time of day tip is pretty useful and makes sense. We have toluene tanker deliveries at work and it is bonded for HMRC duty so can vouch for the temp reading/compensation on their advice notes.

That said, it'd be so small even over multiple tank fills that I'd still get my fuel when I needed it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Slightly interesting, but no better informed than my local pub.

Perhaps bigger issues are: mass of fuel carried, energy density of fuel (diesel v petrol), air temperature at combustion (paradoxical: diesels apparently more efficient when ambient air is warmer, turbo petrol when air is colder?), diversion of route to get to fuel station?

And, obviously, cutting out unnecessary short journeys altogether and getting a push bike :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
If Petrol reaches £2.00 a litre in two and a bit months, all this advice will be irrelevant. How could Mr average and country's transport industries stand this level of fuel increase?

·
Registered
13,590 Posts
If Petrol reaches £2.00 a litre in two and a bit months, all this advice will be irrelevant. How could Mr average and country's transport industries stand this level of fuel increase?
Very true, I never thought just how close to the end of the year we are!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
the temperature thing has been mentioned before but it's some small it's not worth worrying about, as said with tanks underground the temperature is far more stable than the air temp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts