Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come petrol stations insist on putting a .9 on the displayed petrol prices? Is it a legal requirement? I mean .9 is not legal tender as far as I am aware. If I cut a penny into ten pieces and bought a litre of fuel from a petrol station and then tried to pay with 100 pennies and nine bits of a penny I am sure I would be told where to go in no uncertain terns.
So come on petrol stations play fair. Either charge us 100 pence for a litre as you seem to think we are all thick and do not realise that 100 pence is £1.00 or if you insist on ripping us of round it up to a penny and charge us 101 pence, or better still £1.01p. I know it does not look right on your nice price display but at least it is honest. Oh, and come on Mr Government and pass a law to make them.

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
hmmm doesn't make much point the .9 ....may as well round it to the nearest 1p .... like ya say...you can't go and pay .9p...:rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Simple psychology of the lesser number.
It's the same as why shops used to sell .99p items, 101.9 looks better to the mind than 102.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
There is a supermarket here that has actually brought out their own money out to deal with this ...
they actually give you 1 cent of a "penny" (or the equivalent in Francs) as change. everything they have up for sale is .99.
I'm not sure its legal to charge .99, you pay 1.00 and they give you a phoney 0.01 coin? More like they're keeping your extra money. Their marketing argument is that you can use them to pay if you come back...
I suppose with the thousands of people going there they make quite a bit of extra cash this way.
I'd love to go in and buy a whole weeks shopping from them and pay them back in 1 cent pieces. It would block the register line for the day :cheese:

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
A few years ago here in Oz they got rid of the old $2 note and replaced it with a coin. At the time there was the usual predictable correspondence in the papers - it will wear out your trouser pockets, confuse old people, etc etc.

The best contribution was from someone who wrote in to say that Australia didn't need a $2 coin - what we needed was a 99 cent coin!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts