• Diesel

Votes: 28 41.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of currently ridiculous fuel prices. Which one is 'better' to have?

Petrol is usually around £1.15/litre
Diesel is usually around £1.25/litre

It is likely that diesel will be as much as £1.50/litre by July!! However, you can expect petrol to be about £1.40/litre aswell...

Is it still worth going for the diesel? Surely they are still better for the money, as you are still getting the better economy?

So rather than choosing one over the other because you're a petrol head or diesel head.. Put some thought into it and select which you believe is better for the money.

Let's have a poll!! :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I drive a petrol and can get some pretty amazing figures from it, but i think overall you cant beat diesel for economy. Regardless of the price difference its still cheaper tank for tank.

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
Petrol all the way, I am 100% Petrolhead, not Dieselhead.

Its about 12% more expensive for diesel, so for a start you have to get 12% more MPG, Diesels also wear out tyres faster due to the torque, they are more expensive to buy secondhand, and are more expensive to service.

I don't think you could break even unless you were doing a big mileage.

Diesels tend to be more reliable though.

IMO Petrols drive better, I prefer a nice revvy engine as opposed to a lower revving one with more torque, but I appreciate others prefer it the other way around.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
diesel - but the higher miles you do the better it is with a diesel

·
Registered
443 Posts
Must admit I prefer a petrol engine. I run both - a 2.0 TS in my 147 & a 2.0 TDi in my Seat. The Seat is quick but not as fun, but it gives about an extra 20mpg so economy wise you've gotta think about a diesel:)

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
In auto express No 1011 which was out 2 weeks ago, one of their columnists said that they thought diesel as a road car fuel was dead. The reason being that the price is going to increase sharply even further in relation to petrol. The reason was that for enviromental reasons ships are being forced to switch to diesel from Fuel oil, and this will affect the amount of Diesel available and push the price up to £2 a litre.

I would scan in the article but I haven't got a scanner..

D

·
0 Posts
Petrol all day long. If I want a clattering diesel powered vehicle I'll buy a van or a MKII golf. With a farmer at the wheel.

P

·
0 Posts
It depends on what you want. Big mileage = diesel for economy eventually.

I don't do huge miles so a petrol makes more sense (and a nicer noise!)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Depends on the miles you do, the extra a diesel costs to buy and if your taxed on the CO2.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Voted Petrol, can't run my V6 on Diesel !!! :D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Id rather pay the extra (ie do less miles) with petrol than have a car that has more in common with a victorian steam engine than a car :lol:

Not that I've got anything against coal burners

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Bought mine for running costs but my GT opened my eyes as to how good diesels can be, or at least how good they can be made for very little outlay, I couldn't choose a boggo petrol over a good TDI now they are just not worth it for driving day to day.

Contrary to popular belief diesels barely cost more to service and nor do they go through tyres that much quicker than a petrol at least not as far as I could notice between my V6 and JTD.

for me its gotta be either a good petrol turbo, a big NA engine or a TDi, something with a good wallop of torque, driving without at least 220lbs of torque over a good spread is a bit dull in your average car, no sense of speed unless you're being reckless or in something under 1000kg.

I'm not against petrol in anyway, its likely I'm buying a petrol next but it'll come within the above criteria plus as it will be tracked a fair bit a screaming petrol is a better fit.

As to which is better it all depends on circumstances, on the whole for me and I'm sure the large majority diesel is better engine for day to day stuff but its not always all about that eh :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
Got a diesel for the running costs, and was expecting a tractor. Blimey was i wrong, im just :inlove: with the torque in the GT, and will be re-mapping soon.

I used to have a 145 cloverleaf and the running costs on that were huge 4 years ago when petrol was pence, no way i could afford it now. But it was a great drive :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts