Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I'm seriously debating getting a G for my new car but unsure whether to go with petrol or diesel.

My commute is 15 miles to/from work and about 12 miles of that is country roads with the other 3 being urban city driving.

I'm after the TCT if possible.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
36,782 Posts
No reason to put up with a diesel on that usage and get the benefits of refinement , better handling and no need to handle a diesel fuel pump.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would definitely suggest looking at the petrol. They are still pretty good on fuel and the diesels are just so unrefined in comparison. However, I hear the latest Gen of diesels are better than the version in my G and the 1.6 now has the option with the TCT box. Take both for a drive and see what you think... I reckon the petrol/tct would be the best smiles per gallon :thumbup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
At that kind of annual mileage probably best to go for petrol, whatever the vehicle. However I'm a former petrol-head now diesel convert. There's something about the torque that you get with diesels that you get used to and then any petrol sub about 300bhp somehow feels lacklustre by comparison. (Until you bit the revs of course- but that's the point.. I now prefer the effortless torque of a diesel to the raucous screech of a higher revving petrol to get the power down... Maybe simmering to do with age... :)
Diesels are almost ashtrays heavier though which can lose you some shift on the straight bits but can actually help to have some extra weight over the front wheels when you hit the twisty bits. That said I still managed to get my G's 4 wheels off the floor a week or so ago going over the sharp brow of a hill(whoops! It's definitely lighter than the 159 was!)
At the end of the day it's horses for courses and diesels require a different driving technique from petrols. My 2015 jtdm 2 is only pushing 20NM short of what my 159 2.4 5 pot was (400NM) and it's a lighter, nipper car. Feeling it really surge from 40 mph in 6th is just a different sort of power madness.. You need a V6 minimum to get that from a petrol!

·
Registered
38,681 Posts
Your journeys sound similar to mine.

I disagree that you won't save money with a Diesel. It might not be a massive amount (I have worked it out at about £400 per year)

I am averaging about 45mpg on most of my trips, a petrol would probably do 35mpg.

Tax is cheaper and so is the insurance.

I may be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure the MA needs a specific type of oil which meets a Fiat spec, and this is more expensive than the C2/C3 spec which the less fussy Diesels are happy on.

Obviously things like tyres and brakes cost the same.

Also if you do the odd longer trip the Diesel really excels. At motorway speeds the engine is doing under 2000rpm, is totally inaudible and it returns 50mpg plus.

Mine has just done nearly 500 miles in two days without breaking a sweat.

The only real downsides are the diesel smell and the noise at idle or slower speeds. It is also a bit slower off the line than a petrol, but the midrange grunt and high speed cruising ability really makes up for it.

Another thing to watch is fuel prices. At the moment they are pretty low, and petrols are selling well. In the event that fuel prices rise Diesels will become more desireable and petrols less so.

So if you have your heart set on a petrol it might be worth waiting. If you want a Diesel it might be an idea to buy one now.

·
Registered
36,782 Posts
At that kind of annual mileage probably best to go for petrol, whatever the vehicle. However I'm a former petrol-head now diesel convert. There's something about the torque that you get with diesels that you get used to and then any petrol sub about 300bhp somehow feels lacklustre by comparison. (Until you bit the revs of course- but that's the point.. I now prefer the effortless torque of a diesel to the raucous screech of a higher revving petrol to get the power down... Maybe simmering to do with age... :)
Diesels are almost ashtrays heavier though which can lose you some shift on the straight bits but can actually help to have some extra weight over the front wheels when you hit the twisty bits. That said I still managed to get my G's 4 wheels off the floor a week or so ago going over the sharp brow of a hill(whoops! It's definitely lighter than the 159 was!)
At the end of the day it's horses for courses and diesels require a different driving technique from petrols. My 2015 jtdm 2 is only pushing 20NM short of what my 159 2.4 5 pot was (400NM) and it's a lighter, nipper car. Feeling it really surge from 40 mph in 6th is just a different sort of power madness.. You need a V6 minimum to get that from a petrol!
And you've driven the MA back to back with the Diesel ?
I have and so has my wife. I thought I was imagining the weight difference until she commented on it , unprompted. I wouldn't carry a boot full of ashtrays unless I needed to !

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes I test drove both and overall I preferred the diesel. I live in quite a mountainous area with lots of twisty and sometimes step a roads. For me the diesel is far more 'refined'in these conditions. If I turn right out of my driveway I have about a 2 mile continuous climb rising about 1500ft. There's precious little that can match the torque puking up here without screaming the nuts off it.

I'm just offering an alternative viewpoint to the usual . if you're racing then petrol is obviously the way to go, but for me and most practical reasons I'm hooked on diesel now :). Plus there's the fact that I'm averaging 54 mpg without being too careful about it!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I was in the never buy a diseasal camp, but I had a go in a 147 jtd and bought it, after that I got my G with the JTDM2 170bhp engine and I can't imagine going back to petrol, powerful and reasonably economical, however if funds allow a Guillia Cloverleaf might just grace my drive one day to take me back to the petrol!! :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My commute was 6 miles each way and my 2.0 170 diesel never gave me any problems.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm doing similar miles to and from work and I get about 35mpg, when I do a longer run it is usually better than 43mpg

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your input guys,

I'm probably looking at a used 2011/2012 1.4 MA or a 2.0 JDTM.

I feel like the petrol would suffice for my work commute but I do also make the odd trip to london or manchester and having had diesels for the past 8-9 years I do wonder whether a petrol G would give me the 50mpg I used to get from my 8G civic or my E90 bmw.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Thanks for all your input guys,

I'm probably looking at a used 2011/2012 1.4 MA or a 2.0 JDTM.

I feel like the petrol would suffice for my work commute but I do also make the odd trip to london or manchester and having had diesels for the past 8-9 years I do wonder whether a petrol G would give me the 50mpg I used to get from my 8G civic or my E90 bmw.
The 170 MA is well reviewed among magazines compared to the 1750. The 170 is often cited as being more fun to drive and slightly more sparky.

I think a petrol would be the better engine in this instance, based on the mileage.

Whatever you do, make sure the gearbox works if it has the C635. On 2010/11 you are probably looking at problems with these boxes if they have not been fixed. Give it a good test and work the gearbox fully. :rolleyes:

If you are making the 'odd trip' to somewhere, then you probably shouldn't consider these significant departures, and the petrols are more than capable of getting a decent mileage.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 170 MA is well reviewed among magazines compared to the 1750. The 170 is often cited as being more fun to drive and slightly more sparky.

I think a petrol would be the better engine in this instance, based on the mileage.

Whatever you do, make sure the gearbox works if it has the C635. On 2010/11 you are probably looking at problems with these boxes if they have not been fixed. Give it a good test and work the gearbox fully. :rolleyes:

If you are making the 'odd trip' to somewhere, then you probably shouldn't consider these significant departures, and the petrols are more than capable of getting a decent mileage.
What are the gearbox issues you speak of? I've spotted a 12 plate 170 MA which I may go see this weekend :)

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
What are the gearbox issues you speak of? I've spotted a 12 plate 170 MA which I may go see this weekend :)
You may escape the problems on a 12 plate car.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/245363-giulietta-gearbox-woes.html

Experience 24 pages of gearbox 1st and 2nd gear synchro failure discussion. Enjoy!

Typical symptoms include half engagement of the first gear, not being able to get first gear, half engaging second gear, which then throws you out (with a lovely jelly like wobble to go with it; its SOOOOOO annoying :lol:). Some gearboxes can be notchy, even if they are not broke, which makes the problem even more hard to discern.

One can also check if a particular gearbox has issues with an Alfa Romeo dealer *IF* you can get the gearbox number. They have a list of the affected batch of gearboxes (apparently). I'm not entirely confident that this would work either; that would require Alfa Romeo to keep a list of numbers, combinations of cars and gearboxes that belong to them, which I'm not convinced they are capable of doing.

Perhaps consider the TCT if you can. You may JUST get into one in 2012, depending on budget.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You may escape the problems on a 12 plate car.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/245363-giulietta-gearbox-woes.html

Experience 24 pages of gearbox 1st and 2nd gear synchro failure discussion. Enjoy!

Typical symptoms include half engagement of the first gear, not being able to get first gear, half engaging second gear, which then throws you out (with a lovely jelly like wobble to go with it; its SOOOOOO annoying :lol:). Some gearboxes can be notchy, even if they are not broke, which makes the problem even more hard to discern.

One can also check if a particular gearbox has issues with an Alfa Romeo dealer *IF* you can get the gearbox number. They have a list of the affected batch of gearboxes (apparently). I'm not entirely confident that this would work either; that would require Alfa Romeo to keep a list of numbers, combinations of cars and gearboxes that belong to them, which I'm not convinced they are capable of doing.

Perhaps consider the TCT if you can. You may JUST get into one in 2012, depending on budget.
Ah jeez, I'm probably looking at picking up a used off a private sale, there's also a 2011 manual 170 jdtm which I'm really liking the look of.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts