Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think? A petrol station has just opened up close to me, the company is called MOTOR VEHICLE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION, You pay £100 p.a. membership for each car and can the get 50 litres max per week at around 35p/litre. Therefore returning your £100 back to you in 4 weeks (50p/litre cheaper than most x 50 = £25/week x 4 = £100).

Leaflet states that they have established to fund the research and development of a project to eliminate the emissions from internal combustion engines and to extend the mpg fuel consumption of all vehicles by the fitting of a retro-fit device. The ability to supply fuel at cost price is in terms of our membership of the European Community and the research and development project.

Guy states that you become a member of the association so no duty, they supply at cost price which will between 25p and 40p per litre. They are non-profit making so will adjust price accordinly to ensure no profit in accordance with EU directives and regulations.

Too good to be true? I have my cheque book at the ready - What do you think? If true I will be adding mega miles to the V6, it will be any excuse to go for a drive!!

N

·
0 Posts
Re: Petrol/deisel @ 35p a litre - Run your Alfa well cheap

Surely if it's untaxed fuel it'll be marked.

And if you get stop-checked and you've
had marked fuel in your tank.....

:tut:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

But you are part of the association - They have there own tankers and are buying direct from the refinery as I ubderstand it.

·
Registered
821 Posts

Sounds like it could be legal, albeit via a dubious loophole. It would be interesting to know how the EU would react when realises that the research, is just a ploy for a fuel tax dodge.

I'd say, provided the fuel is of good grade, go for it! At least until they get shut down! :rolleyes:

Happy motoring ;)

N

·
0 Posts

Dougie166 said:
But you are part of the association - They have there own tankers and are buying direct from the refinery as I ubderstand it.

My understanding is that all "tax-free" fuel has to
be dyed.

Sounds way to scammy for me, but hey maybe it's
a real loop-hole someone's unearthed. :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Even if it is dyed then you must be allowed to run the car on it that is a member of the association. The car is registered with them, the V5 must be produced with application.

·
Registered
821 Posts

As I said, its probably legal. But enjoy it while it lasts! ;)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thing is that as the have to verify your car and details it takes 28 days for application to be processed.

If you are right, I could end up a member of an association with no benefit and £100 out of pocket!

They do intend to open throughout the country.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

They are also doing third party security - £150 on top of membership fee for cover but with a £600 excess. They say that this is obviously aimed at the young.

Seems to be a group that are ****ed off with the motorist getting ripped off - Good on them.

The petrol station is owned by Snowie (waste disposal compant that made millions out of foot & mouth epidemic)- Unsure if they are involved or leasing out.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts

Sounds like a good deal, but is it too good to be true?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
"MOTOR VEHICLE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION" yields no results on google whatsoever, makes me a little sceptical.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
£100 up front and customers will wait 28 days before asking what's happened?

I'd be sceptical, but it would be good if it's true.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I registered - 28 days count down to cheap fuel OR NOT as it maybe. Worth a gamble I thought!

I asked a few questions before registering -

Is fuel marked (dyed)? - No, purchased in another EC country and brought here.

Is membership limited to a specific number of people - Yes, 800,000.

As my vehicle is a member of a research and development project does it need to be used to test devices? - No.

I received a receipt and have been told that a certificate will be issued to me printed with vehicle registration and model and the date that I can begin purchasing fuel. They are a member only station so only registered vehicles will be served, a camera notes your reg. plate as you enter.

We will see - I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
821 Posts
We've all got our fingers crossed there for you Douggie166! :)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
i think the response you got back dougie looks genuine....especially limiting the membership etc, good luck and if it wokrs get them to have one in the south, near Reading.... :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dougie I'm in West Central Ecosse, where, how etc?

If its private, PM me !
Auld Brig Filling Station, Tullibody, Alloa, FK10 2PF - Only a mile or two from me so ideal, where are you?

More info - Local gossip is that the guy was in the Royal Engineers developing a retro fit fuel saving device but could get no backing. Obviously motor and fuel companies are not interested - This plan was therefore hatched to fund development.

We will see - It is only 100 notes!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Good luck to you!
Any loophole that saves money for red-blooded motorists a good loophole! Go-go juice is far too expensive thanks to stealth tax (and fuel companies bunging a bit extra on every time Gordon thinks he'll increase the tax!)

Hope that it isn't a scam, unlike the tax, if there is a permanent place you can go to to shout at if necessary then it seems ok to me.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts