Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
the people who run these institutions have never ever worked in the private sector. can you imagine the ALMIGHTY shock they'd get if they had to suddenly run a tight ship and work smart, whilst constantly being accountable to their customers?:eek: the soft sh*tes would be straight off on the sick with stress & anxiety. which would of course suit them down to the ground as they'd get paid for 12 months then retired early on ill health with full pension. [email protected]:rant:

R

·
0 Posts
the people who run these institutions have never ever worked in the private sector. can you imagine the ALMIGHTY shock they'd get if they had to suddenly run a tight ship and work smart, whilst constantly being accountable to their customers?:eek: the soft sh*tes would be straight off on the sick with stress & anxiety. which would of course suit them down to the ground as they'd get paid for 12 months then retired early on ill health with full pension. [email protected]:rant:
I could not have put that better myself :lol: :lol: :2:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Absolutely disgusting. It's illegal not to hand over personal data to incompetent morals who don't bother to take basic security precautions with it :( :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why the surprise?

uk.gov knows fvck all about IT.
That's why they keep spending
billions on systems that don't work.

How easy would it be to install a PGP
virtual drive on these laptops?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You really want to know? For the Govt it's F__KING impossible.

I used to work in a reasonably sensitive area and the cvnts couldn't get the PGP, or indeed, anything to work at all, including my laptop, mobile phone PDA (which having been bought for me was declared to be insecure so I couldn't use it).

Oh and the government protected marking scheme meant that even if PGP did work you'd only be able to send some information over a SENTINEL wire which unsuprisingly is, expensive isn't widely rolled out and often doesn't work.

But I'm still amazed this sh*t went in the ordinary post, I'm sure in my past life that would have been at least secure carrier if not hand to hand type stuff.

When it comes to IT and the government the only thing that surprises me is that they spend so little and that once in a while it kind of works.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I fear we are being ruled by the criminally insane, unfortunately as you say we cant even vote them out :(
We didn't even vote this bumbling idiot in, he hung around the last bumbling idiot until he felt sorry for him and gave him the country on a fecking plate.

H

·
0 Posts
We didn't even vote this bumbling idiot in, he hung around the last bumbling idiot until he felt sorry for him and gave him the country on a fecking plate.
:rolleyes: Please, we don't have to explain the British voting system AGAIN, do we? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,150 Posts
Just about everything in the public sector seems badly run by a bunch of incompetant civil servants and government ministers

The Treasury, HM Customs and Excise, Child support agency, The NHS, Etc Etc..

There is a definite pattern of ****-ups emerging, people are creaming off fat cat salaries, yet do not do their jobs correctly.

Now you really know why Gordon didn't hold that election.

As for the voting system, mandates etc it needs to be reformed IMO, as well as giving proportional representation. It seems stupid that the party with the most votes doesn't nessesarily win.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
going against the grain here, but its hardly Gordon Brown's or Darlings fault some [email protected] decided to go against accepted practice and sent these discs unregistered. If the practice was unsound, then maybe, but you cannot legislate for the [email protected] factor.

I agree with all the points made about the civil service compared to private enterprise, but it was private enterprise TNT who have lost them. Bugs me a little that its reported as 'lost in the post' as if it were Royal Mail.

Would we be better off under a different Gov't? I doubt it, the civil service will be the same and still be too occupied with 'awareness courses' to focus on what they are there for, make the country run smoothly.

V

·
0 Posts
It's not quite as simple as that, there are many instances of the private sector knowingly shafting public bodies and institutions with shoddy, over-expensive 'services' when they decide to 'outsource'.
It's just incredibly bad management, and idiocy on a personal scale, plain and simple. The most senior people who knew about sending this stuff by such ludicrously stupid means, should be sacked forthwith. Start at the top and keep going downstream until you get to the people who had no influence on the matter. But of course, the people at the top are the ones who know how to sweep it under the carpet.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I seem to remermber a private insurance company getting a hefty fine (couple of million) for losing a laptop with customer data on.

I am sure HMG will point out that any fine on a Government will hurts people as tax payers and therefore not worth doing it (although fining a private company hurt speople as shareholders but there you go).

Obviously if you can't be held accountable to the same standard as the private sector you probably aren't going to incentivised to operate to the same standard either.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Disgusting :mad:

Shocking :rant:

and tried to keep it quiet for almost 3 weeks as well :rolleyes:

The advice, monitor you bank accounts, report suspicious activity...

.............like idiots mailing personal info in an insecure way:confused:

Bl00dy hell :mad:

E

·
0 Posts
going against the grain here, but its hardly Gordon Brown's or Darlings fault some [email protected] decided to go against accepted practice and sent these discs unregistered.
Well, in a wider context, Brown was Chancellor and Eyebrows was in the Cabinet when two basically crap and overburdened institutions were merged into an unworkable structure, had a quarter of their staff sacked, and were lumbered with IT systems not fit for purpose.

I can hear flapping and clucking...

PS: Sloper - if you worked in sensitive areas, didn't you sign the Official Secrets Act? I hear the food's great in Strangeways. :)

N

·
0 Posts
PS: Sloper - if you worked in sensitive areas, didn't you sign the Official Secrets Act? I hear the food's great in Strangeways. :)
Yes it's normally part of the official
secrets act and most NDAs that
you do not discuss you've even
signed them, so careful. :tut:

:lol:

·
Premium Member
76,987 Posts
They're all the same. It's the Whitehall dicks
who spec/tender/implement these shoddy
systems. (We can't even vote those ****ers out! :()

Who the hell transfers large amounts
of confidential data by sending it unencrypted via
a courier!? Morons

agree with some of this

but, by your definition I'm a whitehall d*ck

and I take exception to that

we collect and store huge amounts of data

it's safe - we observe ISO27001, we know what a bad system looks like and what a good system looks like

we had to stop work yesterday to reassure ministers that we're not in the same boat as the lot in the news

and.......generally people aren't aware of the constraints and pressures that civil servants are put under

still it's easy to sit back and sling mud without specific factual basis

·
Premium Member
76,987 Posts
Just about everything in the public sector seems badly run by a bunch of incompetant civil servants and government ministers

The Treasury, HM Customs and Excise, Child support agency, The NHS, Etc Etc..

There is a definite pattern of ****-ups emerging, people are creaming off fat cat salaries, yet do not do their jobs correctly.

Now you really know why Gordon didn't hold that election.

As for the voting system, mandates etc it needs to be reformed IMO, as well as giving proportional representation. It seems stupid that the party with the most votes doesn't nessesarily win.

seriously off the mark in many respects

there are many public services that work smoothly and you take for granted

you don't have relevant information to make general statements like this - but if you read enough of the red-tops or the Express then you don't need it, I guess

·
Premium Member
76,987 Posts
who did you vote for then, Numpty?

The nation elected a Labour government, which is what we have in power. Democracy in action.

If you're going to buy The Sun, just look at the pictures (like I do) and don't try and make sense of the words.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts