Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some ****er has opened their door onto the side of the Brera, again. :tut:

This has left a small ding in the waistline crease just above the rear passenger side wheel arch.

I had a much bigger and uglier one of these in the passenger side door fixed a few months ago at a cost of approx. £250 :mad: but I'm reluctant to fork out again when the car is going back to FGA this year.

So, my question to you PCH experts out there is this - is the small ding described above considered as fair wear and tear, or is it likely to be something that I will be charged for?

Cheers

:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Just get a PDR man to get it out for c£50 a panel.

Our GT goes to one twice a year as Clare parks all over the place and the GT has wafer thin skin:(

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I agree with Simon. My car had various dinks here and there that I was convinced he wouldnt be able to get out because they were on the swage line but he came along with his box of tricks and removed every last one and a few more I didnt even realise were there.

I watched him at work and it was almost theraputic watching him get rid of the little blighters.

I can give you his details if you want T as he covers most of our area.

:thumbs::)

N

·
0 Posts
I think the Brera was the only car I've owned
that never got a single door related dent in it.

Just hand it back dirty. ;)
(That's what I do for rental cars. )

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers bud. I'd appreciate that.

I was thinking it'd be impossible to get out that way as it's right on the crease, but I guess you never know eh?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump. Anyone?

I'd rather not pay for this to be repaired at all if it can be accepted as fair wear and tear by FGA.

M

·
0 Posts
Bump. Anyone?

I'd rather not pay for this to be repaired at all if it can be accepted as fair wear and tear by FGA.
If it's a small dent, with no paint damage, that would be fair wear and tear. That is only my opinion but i'm really fussy with any damage to a car and I work at a dealership that deals with contract hire, PCP handbacks and Motability cars. Most of the time I get told i'm being over picky, so I would say you will be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dent

Hello Everyone,
Am new to the site so please bear with me untill I get the hang.
As regards the ding in the door, having also managed to survive a few years as a fleet salesman dealing with contract hire and finance lease I would say get the £50 local repair done prior.
The reason for this is, if for some reason The finance co has made a mistake and set the GFV (Garanteed Future Value) to high they may be out of bed regards how much the car is worth now and how much they predicted it would be worth.
In my experience with PSA Citroen and Peugot it has happened and they looked for any reason to claw back money from the customer. (Essentially to soften there loss)
A £50 dent guy would be much better than a bill from the Finance company for £300 after the car has been given back..... (it does happen, ive seen it with my own eyes)
Its only my view though and lots of cars do go back with some damage and never get charged for.
Im overly cautious though so id be ringing the dent man.

Hope it helps

mark:)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's sound advice Mark, thanks, and I think the general consensus is that it's best to be on the safe side.

I've just been reading back through euroboy's thread about the problems he experienced when handing his car back to FGA and I think the conclusion is that if you do the following you shouldn't have any problems: -

1) Stop your DD with your bank the day the car is picked up.

2) Touch up the paint and have any dents pulled.

3) Sort out the alloys (refurb. if necessary).

4) Have the car valeted.

I just hope it doesn't cost too much to do it all!

Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gave the GT a clean yesterday (followed SR's Snow Foamer post and V impressed !) but noticed a good dink and a multitude of stone chips.

On the stone chip front any advice on the same return issue with stone chips ?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the stone chip front any advice on the same return issue with stone chips ?
Again I think the best advice is to be on the safe side and touch up, as best you can, any stone chips.

I will be now.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That's sound advice Mark, thanks, and I think the general consensus is that it's best to be on the safe side.

I've just been reading back through euroboy's thread about the problems he experienced when handing his car back to FGA and I think the conclusion is that if you do the following you shouldn't have any problems: -

1) Stop your DD with your bank the day the car is picked up.

2) Touch up the paint and have any dents pulled.

3) Sort out the alloys (refurb. if necessary).

4) Have the car valeted.

I just hope it doesn't cost too much to do it all!

Cheers
Just gone through the process with my Spider and it was fairly painless

1) Stopped the DD then got a threatening letter & email from FGA when they tried to claim the final balance before having issued the invoices/confirmed the amounts

2) Load of stone chips on mine (esp on lower door edges/rear arches) and a small dent (less than 10mm) on the rear arch. No rectification work done as it was within guidelines - they send you a booklet as soon as you agree to hand the car back)

3) Major bit of work for me - all 4 refurbed but I'd budgetted for this. How I wish I'd won the set of 18" horseshoes that were on Ebay a few months ago though.

4) Each to their own - cleared my stuff out but no special effort.

Result - zero additional cost from FGA

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Spoke too soon

Paid final amount this am then get an invoice from FGA for £272 for 'Poor wheel repairs'.

Thieving, robbing *******s

Let battle commence (invoice confirming work done and photos of finished wheels in my possession)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Reading this thread makes me glad I buy my own car & that Clare opts out of her scheme to fund the GT:D

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I've got a useful 6 page guide in pdf on my works laptop from Lex about fair wear and tear on return of a lease car.

It won't necessarily be exactly the same in your case but the general principles will apply and in some respects it seemed (from what I remember) quite forgiving of minor marks and dents including small marks in upholstery with "in" and "out" examples. I'd post it up but (again) my home network is refusing it access! "rolleyes:

PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you from work tomorrow.

I think I've got another supplier's hard copy somewhere which was sent in advance of another fleet car going back. I'll see if I can find it but I usually forward these to whoever's car is up for renewal soon.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Reading this thread makes me glad I buy my own car & that Clare opts out of her scheme to fund the GT:D
To be fair I'm griping but not losing sight of the big picture. My car should have been £33.5k new and I've paid just over £13k in rental in just under 3 years (covered by Company Car opt out cash).

The car will be at auction next week and I suspect will get c.£12.5k leading to a £14k forecourt price. If that's the case there's a £7.5k gap somewhere that I'm glad I'm not paying - now wonder FGA Contracts are scraping round for every last £££.

I do pity anyone who bought one over the same timescale.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with Simon. My car had various dinks here and there that I was convinced he wouldnt be able to get out because they were on the swage line but he came along with his box of tricks and removed every last one and a few more I didnt even realise were there.

I watched him at work and it was almost theraputic watching him get rid of the little blighters.

:thumbs::)
Had your PDR man sort my car park 'ding' this morning Bacon.

Excellent job. The lease company will never know it was there.

Cheers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts