Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have what I think is a problem with my G, 170 1.4 MA, 2014. Most of the times when I release the gas paddle, especially in higher gears and town speeds (5th or 6th at 50/60 km/h), there is a clunk/knock sound from somewhere in the front (in or under the engine bay), accompanied by a physical shudder. Usually, at these driving conditions I am somewhere at 1.5k - 2k RMP, and the ride often doesn't feel smooth, feels jittery. I am not sure if the two are somehow connected. To fix the ride smoothness, I've found that changing the MAP sensor helps. I did that, but it didn't help. I don't believe that the rims are damaged in any way. Btw, issues are present in all of DNA modes.

Issues I've found in the forum, that could have something to do with my symptoms:
-exhaust hitting the subframe (there appears to be no play in the exhaust)
-clutch + DM flywheel failure (i suspect there would be other signatures with those as well)
-Engine/transmission mounts (don't know how to check it, engine seems solid in place)

I wonder if this is a common problem for the G, and If anyone has an idea where it could come from. I am reluctant to let the mechanics in Switzerland play with it, as the resulting costs could set me back another car..

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'd start off with checking if there are any fault codes regarding the engine. Bad spark plugs, coils, dirty MAF, dirty throttle body can all make a car hesitate and "jitter" as it struggles to adjust to the situation. Have the spark plugs been changed at proper intervals?
However if the clunks pretty much only come when you lift off, I'd suspect the motor mounts. I've made a thread about my right engine mount, and the summary is basically that it was impossible to really know how bad it was until I replaced it as aside from doing the "lift clutch while braking and see how much the engine moves"-thing (which showed movement) the engine felt solid in place. It ended up with me having to raise the engine back up about 5-8cm to get it to the proper position. Likely my gearbox mount is worn as well as the clunks are starting to come back, but now from that side. The dog bone (rear) mount is also a usual suspect in these cases.
My car was a 2011 though.

There is also more serious things like the MultiAir unit going bad.

Can you work on your car yourself?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Your car is a lot newer than mine , but it sounds a lot more like engine, gearbox and possibly suspension mountings. This is surprising though with such a small mileage, my car has 82k on the clock and it feels like a minter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts