Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Posted a thread this week about my rocker cover gasket oil leak. had the gasket changed and it seemd to stop.

This morning oil leak coming from the top of the block again. Consistant with a cover gasket failure.

Taken it back into the garage that changed the gasket in the first place, they currently have the cover off running the car at the moment, they say it doesnt seem to be leaking anymore and have had mirrors down there looking for it etc.

Any ideas or am i being fed BS and they dont want to admit that they fitted it wrong, or could there be another problem?

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
On the 2.0 there is a chance that the leak is actually from the balance shaft oils seals, it may even be the inlet of exhaust cam seals or an exhaust stud, but depending on where it is driping off the engine is a good guide. Tell them to dab silicone sealant on top of the cam endcover plate joint and this will seal up the rocker gasket PROPERLY, if the oil is driping from the Balance belt tensioner mount thenI'd look into replacing the balance shaft seal/s, quite an easy job if you know how to change cambelts as it has to come off to do it/them.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one thing i would say the leak is much better now they hadve replaced the gasket, but there was a very small drip this morning. i suspect that the havent replaced it correctly.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I presume that you won't need to add a new cambelt etc though so it will just be the labour cost (Magners is probably the currency of choice :lol:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right just got it back from the garage.

they said they had it running for 2 hours and no leak. i drove it 1 mile and opened the bonnet to check. Very small drip coming the where the arrow is pointing. The lazy sods hadnt even driven it to see if it was different when you drove it.

i know that they havent used gasket seal 'cos they have said that it doesnt need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,521 Posts
It doesn't need gasket seal on the cam cover gasket.

It looks like it might be coming from the exhaust cam oil seal though.

If it were the balance shaft oil seals it wouldn't be leaking that high up on the engine.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
It doesn't need gasket seal on the cam cover gasket.

It looks like it might be coming from the exhaust cam oil seal though.

If it were the balance shaft oil seals it wouldn't be leaking that high up on the engine.
Sym, you'd think it wouldn't need liquid gasket, but they all need just a little dab to complete the seal where the end corners are, anyway, it could be the balance shaft seal, it does spray round when the shafts are spinning, but that was only a theory as all tinternet diagnosis is, as always there's nothing like having the car in front of you and I did list a lot of probable leaks in that last post.

·
Registered
37,521 Posts
Fair enough, yeah the balance shaft could spin the oil upwards.

I must admit I did put blue Hylomar on the cam cover gasket on my last 156 too, but IMO thats a belt and braces approach. :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks once again guys, your both really helpful. I had a mate look at it last night who is the cheif mech at audi in worthing. he took the cam cover off and showed me what the problem was.....they hadnt sealed the gasket properly, i've take it back in today and given them a rollocking and told them to sort it.

I'll let you know what tomorrow brings......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts