Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my younger colleagues is going to court next week to answer a summons. What happened is as follows.

Driving into Grantham he got confused by road markings and ended up in the wrong lane at a junction. He indicated and when the lights changed he changed lane to go the way he intended. He was pulled up by a following police car who said "You were in the wrong lane and pulled across traffic. You can either accept three points and a sixty pound penalty, or you can go on a speed awareness course or you can be summonsed" Our man said "Well I wasn't speeding and I indicated I was changing lane and the traffic let me in, I've done nothing wrong so I'm not accepting any penalty" and they part.

A couple of weeks later he gets a summons for "Driving without due care and attention, breaking the speed limit and passing a light at red"

He is going to court to argue that he is being stitched up, and I told him to write a very strongly worded letter to the chief constable as well regardless of the outcome in court..where frankly I think he will be fried alive.

Thats the modern world of motoring for you.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
169 Posts
One of my younger colleagues is going to court next week to answer a summons. What happened is as follows.

Driving into Grantham he got confused by road markings and ended up in the wrong lane at a junction. He indicated and when the lights changed he changed lane to go the way he intended. He was pulled up by a following police car who said "You were in the wrong lane and pulled across traffic. You can either accept three points and a sixty pound penalty, or you can go on a speed awareness course or you can be summonsed" Our man said "Well I wasn't speeding and I indicated I was changing lane and the traffic let me in, I've done nothing wrong so I'm not accepting any penalty" and they part.

A couple of weeks later he gets a summons for "Driving without due care and attention, breaking the speed limit and passing a light at red"

He is going to court to argue that he is being stitched up, and I told him to write a very strongly worded letter to the chief constable as well regardless of the outcome in court..where frankly I think he will be fried alive.

Thats the modern world of motoring for you.

AlfaLincs
Thats an absolute disgrace ! And they are a disgrace to the uniform, they are B------S :mad:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Without defending the B******s I suspect the decision and prosecution rests on the manner in which the manoevure was carried out i.e. 'nice, sensible, I'll wait till the road is clear and then reposition myself' or 'if I floor it now I can get to the junction I want before they've moved'.

Presumably there's some video evidence in which case it should be an open and shut case

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its got more to do with quotas personally.Officers are under pressure to 'produce', and he is a soft target. No mention was made at the scene of passing a red light, neither was he accused of breaking the speed limit. If there is video evidence well thats another thing altogether, but I thought they were supposed to tell him if they had video evidence under the disclosure rules.

AlfaLincs

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
On the surface it appears outrageous.

However we have only heard one side of it third hand. Like most of us it is likely that the person this happened to only told the facts that were convenient to his cause. As has been said did he pull away too soon (red light) and too fast? Was his "mistake" to go down an empty lane and intend to cut into the right one at the last minute to save time? What was his attitude when stopped?

I don't know the answer to any of the above and it may have happened just as originally described but, as I say, there are always two sides.

Paul.

·
Super Moderator
114,698 Posts
Not surprised 'Lincs. My last fine and points deduction here in Japan was to have changed lane (a yellow marked lane) whilst waiting at a red light. Fair enough. I did that as I wanted to change direction. Should have been penalised.

The fact that I did that when there was no car in front, next or behind me (I was alone) and at a speed of 2mph, whilst waiting for the red light to turn green (ie. without impeding any traffic) didn't matter at all :eek: :(

Ultimately, they can always use the letter of the law to nab you, and yes, they certainly have quotes and budgets to meet.

And then the people who kill pedestrians, whilst driving witout license or insurance, get a gentle slap on the hand. :confused: :rant: :rant: :mad:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If he felt he was guilty of anything he'd have gone on the speed awareness course don't you think..no points on License. You have to pretty incenced and sure you have done nothing wrong to turn that one down I would suggest. He's not completely stupid.

Alfalincs

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If a cop decides to stitch you up, you're screwed.
(Believe me, I know.) :(:(:(

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Wrong lane? You're committed, your mistake, follow it through and address that mistake when you are able. Inconvenient, but if you 'bulldoze' in the law will, and does pounce, if you are observed.:(:

We've all done it, and got away with it, until that occasion when you are 'nabbed':):

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can either accept three points and a sixty pound penalty, or you can go on a speed awareness course or you can be summonsed
AlfaLincs
So he could have agreed to go on a little course and it would all have gone away?

I'm sure he feels his little stand is well worth it.

All together now...I fought the law and the law......

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
What happened to discretion:confused:

I got muddled going to Croydon on Wednesday. There is a new bypass that's not on the SATNAV. I ended up driving like Maureen off driving school for a few hundred yards at the junction that takes to either to central London or Croydon:eek:

The point is, even experienced drivers can make an error when confused and discretion on the part of the law is a must!

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Being offered three options after a traffic offence (even three separate ones in this particular case) sounds like quite reasonable discretion on the part of the copper to me.

·
Super Moderator
114,698 Posts
Being offered three options after a traffic offence (even three separate ones in this particular case) sounds like quite reasonable discretion on the part of the copper to me.
Fair point but what SR probably meant is discretion as to whether to impose a penalty at all.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
What happened to the old saying.
Rules are for the guidance of the wise,
And adherence of fools?
No doubt , life could be a little better if this were to be applied more often by those with the power, I`m embracing alot of gov;depts here.
John the ludite.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's harsh of the police to contemplate 3 points and sixty squid, but he was in the wrong lane, he indicated and pulled across the traffic by the sound of it.

If that had been me, I'd have gone down the wrong turning, found somewhere to turn round and had another go at the junction in the right lane. It's one of my pet hates when people sit there at roundabouts and junctions after realising they've get it wrong waiting for someone to let them in whilst holding up everyone else for their mistake. In a busy city with motorbike couriers and cyclists everywhere those manouvres can be pretty dangerous.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts