Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got one of my local engineers (also an alfa enthusiast) to make me a replacement gear that causes the spider roof to fail. As you all know the motor fails to release the hatches that hold the lid down. As you also know, the motor fails due to the low quality gear inside the motor wearing out and breaking. (Pull the little motor apart and you'll see what I'm talking about)

Well, he's made me gear out high quality / engineers grade plastic (the best there is) 3 weeks ago and it works without the hitch. I've been putting the roof up and down several times a day to test this before I post this up.

He's made few more of those as I've told him that there may be people of the forum who might be interested.

So if you are interested to loose the hammer and enjoy the sunshine without the fear of roof failure, let me hear you. The more you order, the lower the price, i guess. The gear will be shipped from Brisbane, Australia, which is not a problem due to size/weight.

Let me know what you think.

Best Regards

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi, Canberra here and may be interested, have not been a Spider owner long enough to actually know that they have a problem part, does this affect all Spider models? will need some idea of price and ease of fitting but if you need numbers for a group buy you can probably count me in.

Cheers

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Canberra here and may be interested, have not been a Spider owner long enough to actually know that they have a problem part, does this affect all Spider models? will need some idea of price and ease of fitting but if you need numbers for a group buy you can probably count me in.

Cheers
I think that all 916 spiders have the same problem. I was going to replace the motor, which was going to cost AU$990 but then I realised that the same problem would come back as the gear is exactly the same for all 916 spiders. The slfa gear is 'injected moulded plastic', whereas the one I got make is actually cut.

One I get approximate numbers for a 'Group buy' I will speak to the engineer to work out the cost.

Oh, yeah, it is very easy to replace. It is pretty much idiot proof. It took me 5 minutes to pull it out and apart. I will post instructions if there need be.

Cheers

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else interested???

I will wait till Friday to see how many people would want one and then I will find out the price.

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would love to know the price just in case!!!! If it's not much may be worth putting it in the cupboard for a rainy day when the roof is stuck down!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
i would be interested too depending on price, i just had my motor replaced but as you say, it could happen again

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Better respose this time...

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Already stripped motor and refitted the original gear wheel 180 degrees, now waiting for it to wear out again.
So I am interested in a replacement gear wheel, (but in UK)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nothing wrong with my hood yet, but I will take one just to have it as a "just in case"....!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi there,

Well thats 11 gears. The price he's given me is AU$146 each (about 2 quid :). If we get to 15 gears, the price will be AU$115 each.

You got Postage on top of that.

So who wants to place an order? And do you guys have any suggestions how this should be paid for?

Regards

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hi there,

Well thats 11 gears. The price he's given me is AU$146 each (about 2 quid :). If we get to 15 gears, the price will be AU$115 each.

You got Postage on top of that.

So who wants to place an order? And do you guys have any suggestions how this should be paid for?

Regards
do you mean australian dollars? cos thats not £2

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

To some people, the prices may seem high but to mee it was no brainer... no more hammering... no more thinking about the roof failure...

It was the best 200 bucks I spent on the car (and yes, that how much he charged me for the one off) but I don't care :)

Those who are still interested let me know...

Cheers

·
Registered
105 Posts
I suggest putting 15 on ebay (one listing with 15 quantity) - and allowing payment by paypal. I don't think many people would want to send that much cash to someone on the internet :)

What do you think?

Maybe someone knows of a trustworthy escrow service?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I only got one order from a fellow aussie.

I guess I can put it up on ebay as suggested.

Are the prices too high??? Why is everyone gonne to sleep??

Response please

Cheers

1 - 20 of 133 Posts