Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about the link between the traction control ( AST ? ) and the diff failures last night ( yes i was a bit bored.. ).

Has anyone had a diff fail whilst the AST was switched off ?

Has anyone found a way of permanently switching the AST off ? Does it have its own fuse ? I guess the fact that the light next to the switch goes one for 10 secs or so when you start the car, means its doing a check, so would disabling it create errors and warnings ?

I suppose the best answer would be if you could just set it up so it was off by default ( and switch it on whenever you felt the need....:confused: ).

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
V6 GTVs don't have traction and they are still failing at a goodly rate.

I think the diff just aint fit for purpose, I drive fast but I'm not a nutter so I doubt it's my driving style.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
V6 GTVs don't have traction and they are still failing at a goodly rate.
And always have.

It isn't related to any electronic gubins at all.

They do seam to fail more in countries with poor quality roads though.

Our friends in mainland Europe have very few failures.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh well there goes my diff saving plan !

I'd still like to have AST switched off by default. Anyone managed to do it ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
In 147 if I do not remember badly it is the same fuse for the ABS by what on having removed it the light is ignited in the panel.

·
Registered
567 Posts
In 147 if I do not remember badly it is the same fuse for the ABS by what on having removed it the light is ignited in the panel.
I think that also disables the control for the front/rear brake balance and you get a very unstable car that wants to swap ends under brakes. Others can confirm my impression.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i'm pretty sure the diff failures are more down to the clutch type being a push mech rather than a pull type. someone will propbably correct me but it might be due to the tabs failing and breaking off into the gearbox/diff???

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
And always have.

It isn't related to any electronic gubins at all.

They do seam to fail more in countries with poor quality roads though.

Our friends in mainland Europe have very few failures.
Although it has been suggested that the VDC system on the 147's contributes towards it....

·
Registered
652 Posts
Was thinking about the link between the traction control ( AST ? ) and the diff failures last night ( yes i was a bit bored.. ).

Has anyone had a diff fail whilst the AST was switched off ?

Has anyone found a way of permanently switching the AST off ? Does it have its own fuse ? I guess the fact that the light next to the switch goes one for 10 secs or so when you start the car, means its doing a check, so would disabling it create errors and warnings ?

I suppose the best answer would be if you could just set it up so it was off by default ( and switch it on whenever you felt the need....:confused: ).

Any thoughts ?
I don't think your insurance company would like this!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Although it has been suggested that the VDC system on the 147's contributes towards it....
Yes, but they failed on GTV 3.0V6 and they had no electronic aids at all.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think your insurance company would like this!

Hmmm, i hadnt thought of that. Its not really a safety aid though. However, they do have the habit of using any reason possible for not coughing up, so in hindsight - yes perhaps not the best idea.

Shame though - as being a FWD car, the effects of loosing traction are not usually catastophic.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hmmm, i hadnt thought of that. Its not really a safety aid though. However, they do have the habit of using any reason possible for not coughing up, so in hindsight - yes perhaps not the best idea.

Shame though - as being a FWD car, the effects of loosing traction are not usually catastophic.
Just thinking back to a serious coach crash in Ireland where it was shown that the ABS light was on but the bulb had been removed to pass inspection. Tampering with anything ABS/EBD/general brake balance related could cause grief (like the way certain turbo diesels might be checked for tuning boxes/maps after certain accidents) if there was a serious incident. It only takes a sec to turn off the traction control anyway via the switch - along with a single click on the stalk to pull up the oil temperature gauge (on certain models) - as part of the start up process!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts