Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The left indicator light in the dash in my 166 is permanently on, which of course drains my battery when not driving very much.

Anyone that have a clue on how to fix?

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
Is this controlled by the 'green box of tricks' under the dash at the driver's side? If there's another 166 owner locally who'd let you try their green box, that would rule it out as a possibility.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've seen a few 166 indicator relays go up in smoke & burn some of the harness out too. Early warning signs are the dash warning lights &/or hazards working intermittent. Don't leave it until it's too late.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I had similar on my Jeep...but right rear. Dealership told me to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. I did it...the fault never came back.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I keep meaning to check the wiring diagrams for you, but I'm pretty certain that the dash tallies are driven from the large green cased 'lamp check and drive' unit near the main fusebox above the drivers knee. It isn't normally subject to water damage where it's located, but the small green hazard/indicator logic unit can be, as that sits just underneath the heater module. There's also the indicator flasher in the main fusebox too - it's a bizarrely complex system to flash 4 lights!

I'll try and remember to have look next time I'm in the shed.

Is your car CF2 or CF3? All my detailed info is for CF2.

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Super, Gtv 6 Phase 1 (916), Alfa Mito QV
72 Posts
Is your car CF2 or CF3? All my detailed info is for CF2.
I think this should make no difference as the led rear indicators started right with the first cars of the production and stayed the same till the end of production.

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Super, Gtv 6 Phase 1 (916), Alfa Mito QV
72 Posts
Hi Truva1,

no the thing mentioned in my link (How to repair the non working direction indicators on the instrument panel) has no connector holes in it. It has several pins and is mounted like relay under central console. Its for testing the led indicators of the backend. If the indicators fail, the box cuts out the indicator lights on the dash. But if the thing is corroded the indicator lights on the dash will anyway stay dark. Or maybe always on... In the linked thread there you'll find som pics.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I think this should make no difference as the led rear indicators started right with the first cars of the production and stayed the same till the end of production.
There are detail differences on dash and other modules CF2 to CF3, that's why it might matter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is also a flasher unit on the fuse box. Large black relay in the centre directly above the fuses. If un-plugging that cures the fault, you have found your short circuit. After that, it's worth checking your hazard button too.

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
This fault in a 156 was fixed by replacing the Rev Counter.https://www.alfaowner.com/threads/156-v6-lamp-unit-or-rev-counter.938409/#post-14205769

1 - 19 of 19 Posts